Aquascaping

Lamont

I did a little work on my rock work this weekend and was wondering if the way the rock is stacked make a huge difference in filtration. Most tanks i look at have the rock up against the back wall going straight up or laying on the sand bed from one side to another. I glued my rock in different ways trying to keep openings for water to flow through. will this help my Bio-filtering or is it more about the volume of rock rather than placement. here is a little video link of what i did.

Looks good! The more water flow in between the rock the better, I'm not sure if it helps with biological filtration but it keeps thrash from collecting in between your rocks (uneaten food, fish poop, etc).

I live in Elgin too, since you are new to the hobby I will hook you up with some frags, send me a PM when you are ready.

The more circulation around the rock, the higher internal circulation to the bacteria. Within limits that would mean more de-nitrification. Tanks get set in their ways with certain species becoming dominate. Similiar to a "Climax Forrest". Erick Boreman and others describe the process as "old tank sydrome". For this reason many hobbiest replace live rock every few years. Restacking rock, changing circulation patterens also changes the dynamics of "old tank syndrome". While from your post, your tank is new, not following the herd is a good thing. It is your world.

Patrick

Looks good! The more water flow in between the rock the better, I'm not sure if it helps with biological filtration but it keeps thrash from collecting in between your rocks (uneaten food, fish poop, etc).

I live in Elgin too, since you are new to the hobby I will hook you up with some frags, send me a PM when you are ready.

Thanks for the info and the offer. i am always ready for a frag of coral, look at the almost empty tank!

The more circulation around the rock, the higher internal circulation to the bacteria. Within limits that would mean more de-nitrification. Tanks get set in their ways with certain species becoming dominate. Similiar to a "Climax Forrest". Erick Boreman and others describe the process as "old tank sydrome". For this reason many hobbiest replace live rock every few years. Restacking rock, changing circulation patterens also changes the dynamics of "old tank syndrome". While from your post, your tank is new, not following the herd is a good thing. It is your world.

Patrick

if your rock is covered is corals wouldnt that effect how often you change your rock around or power heads?