Vodka Dosing

KeeperOfTheZoo

Would like input on vodka dosing to help lower nitrates and phosphates.

I'll put the disclaimer out there that I'm not about to rush into this! I've read several long 'how to' articles as well as some of the issues that crop up with doing this. I guess I'd just like some feed back on how it's worked out for folks that have tried it.

I've seen one tank that is currently being dosed with vodka and it looked great and the owner seemed thrilled with the results he was getting.

I guess my concerns are:

- a bacteria bloom consuming to much oxygen and killing my tank inhabitants (I only have 3 small fish in a 125g tank, but I have lots of old nutrient build up to get rid of)

- too much build up/die off/contamination as the bacteria levels build

- loss of bacterial diversity and what ever consequences that may have. Though I am unclear on if that will happen or not.

- what happens when I want to sober up the tank and stop dosing?

Of course, if I took a few shots I'd probably stop fussing over the cyano take over going on....

Liz

Vodka dosing works. I use black molassas or raw brown sugar every now and then. In all cases, the concept is to increase the bacteria. As I said in previous post, pick a method and stick to it. I like Jaubert plenumn's. Since you don't like the substrate in your display, what ever you do needs to be in a remote tank/sump/redfugium.

Patrick

I did the vodka dosing thing for quite awhile. I followed the directions described by melev on rc.my tank is a 215. MY phosphates have always been low enough to not show up on hobby test kits (salifert). MY nitrates were pretty high when I started. Note: 95% of my rock was new dry dead rock when I started. I cant really read the color chart on the test kits for sure but I can tell between dark red and light pink. They were pretty red (indicating high nitratelevels) when I started dosing. The nitrates were cut in half pretty quickly. I continued increasing the dosage per the guidelines for some time. I was up to a little over 10mil when the cyano popped up. I never reached 0 nitrates but they did get down pretty low by thhe time the cyano popped up.I normally change 25 gallons every 2 weeks.I did a 50 gal water change , gave it 3 days lights out and the red stuff dissapeared. I figered I would resume dosing in a few weeks once i'm sure the cyano issue is over.About three weeks to a month later I decided to test for nitrates. I wanted know what the starting nitrate level was so I could judge the effectiveness of thr resumed dosing.Well, the nitrates were very low at that point(somewhere around 20 or less).Since the nitrates were low and my corals looked like they were going in the right direction I havent had the need to resume dosing to this day. MY tank has always been plagued with high nitrates so this was very good news. The reason I replaced all of my rock and totally redid my aquascape was part of my war on detritus.I believe my overfeeding and tons of trapped detritus was the cause of this tanks previous nitrate issues. I believe the vodka helped cycle the new rock faster which led to the system's ability to maintain low nitrates without dosing anything despite my small infrequent water changes and overfeeding still. MY fish are well ... FAT. If nitrates ever become an issue for me again I will DEFINATELY turn to the vodka.

Interesting Mike and thank you for sharing.

The fact that the red slime showed up as your nitrates dropped caught my attention. I too had real high nitrates. They are now testing 0, as the nitrates dropped Ive had red slime show up. Is there a connection there?

So, did your tank get cloudy as the bacteria took off?

Did you run carbon or any other media while dosing?

Liz

The water remained chrystal clear throught. I did not notice a change in clarity. I have read that others reported better clarity with vodka dosing.I use carbon off and on(rox o8 from brs). I did not use any carbon while I was dosing. I wanted to know for sure that it was the vodka doing the job and not something else. I did stick to my normal water changing schedule.The cyano didnt show up for me until I got over 10 mil a day.

I have been using Brightwell's BioFuel and Microbacter7 for several months now with good results, at least in terms of coral coloration. BioFuel is basically a diluted carbon source and is a little easier, in my opinion, to dose safely (as compared to vodka). I am currently dosing 11 drops of BF and 14 drops Microbacter7 each day. I'll probably start to move towards bi-weekly dosing. In a few weeks I'll also begin adding some amino acids. This system is analogous (and a lot cheaper) than using PolypLabs' Reef-Resh.

I've never had high nitrites and that's even after using dechlorinated tap water for top-offs and lately, for water changes too. Nonetheless, I do have some green/brown algae issues (I have to clean the glass daily, but that's about it since it doesn't grow significantly anywhere else). Anyway, my phosphates remain undetectable on the Salifert test kits (which, like all phosphate test kits, are pretty inaccurate).

My advice would be to use coral coloration and algae growth as a guide on how to adjust dosing. As mentioned already by others, stick with one system and stay consistent. You might want to keep a journal to help keep track of things.

Edit: Oh, and, I have also noticed that my skimmate is generally darker than before.

Daniel,

I like your quote. I always say "follow the money" if you want to know what is going on and why.

There are many inexpensive sources of carbon. Feeding the fish and corals does the same thing. It is all about balance and dynamic equilibrium. Instead of protein skimming I use seaweed and janitars. I seem to be stuck on "A Question of Balance" by the Moody Blues.

However, anyone in this hobby is a long way from balanced. I think passonate might be more accurate.

Have you'll a bodacious day.

Patrick

Hey Daniel I just checked out both the products you suggested and wow, they sound like an almost perfect solution that would be truly beneficial to getting my tank back on track. Easier on my mind too than venturing into vodka dosing. At least for the tank anyway. My hubby and I discovered Dripping Springs vodka a while back. Good stuff and it's locally brewed. Much too good for the fish. :)

Liz

Hey Daniel I just checked out both the products you suggested and wow, they sound like an almost perfect solution that would be truly beneficial to getting my tank back on track. Easier on my mind too than venturing into vodka dosing. At least for the tank anyway. My hubby and I discovered Dripping Springs vodka a while back. Good stuff and it's locally brewed. Much too good for the fish. :)

Liz