New Filter

Lamont

I would like to know if a fluval 404 canister filter would be an upgrade compared to my penguin H.O.B.(40g, 60lb rock. Remora C skimmer) My HOB works just fine, nitrates are always low(5ppm). if i switched, would that upset the balance of things? I just want to switch because i'm tired of the HOB look. Please tell me what you think.moz-screenshot-1.png

moz-screenshot-2.pngmoz-screenshot.png

I am not so hasty to totally discount canister filters. First of all I assume you have no sump which is where most of the 'super' skimmers are going to go. I have heard of people using them for charcoal and I can imagine using the sponges just like others do their sump socks. The only thing is just like the sump sock the sponges and filters would have to be cleaned every 3-5 days to prevent becoming a collection point for nitrate food. On the other hand if you don't have any mechanical filtration that detritus is going to grow nitrates anyway unless you have a good clean up crew. The thing I have never been absolutely sure about is if a CUC eats all your waste, don't they turn right around and put some of it right back in the tank as their waste?

IF I was going to try to use a canister I would make it a Rena and not a Fluval. They are MUCH easier to get the tops off. The easier to empty the more you'll do it. In the final analysis I would be hestitant to spend full retail for a canister. I agree it isn't ideal. But if you could pick one up cheap it might be worth a try. JMO

Bill

I am not so hasty to totally discount canister filters. First of all I assume you have no sump which is where most of the 'super' skimmers are going to go. I have heard of people using them for charcoal and I can imagine using the sponges just like others do their sump socks. The only thing is just like the sump sock the sponges and filters would have to be cleaned every 3-5 days to prevent becoming a collection point for nitrate food. On the other hand if you don't have any mechanical filtration that detritus is going to grow nitrates anyway unless you have a good clean up crew. The thing I have never been absolutely sure about is if a CUC eats all your waste, don't they turn right around and put some of it right back in the tank as their waste?

IF I was going to try to use a canister I would make it a Rena and not a Fluval. They are MUCH easier to get the tops off. The easier to empty the more you'll do it. In the final analysis I would be hestitant to spend full retail for a canister. I agree it isn't ideal. But if you could pick one up cheap it might be worth a try. JMO

Bill

i was kind of thinking the same thing. The canister has 4 chambers to put media in. i just used live rock in the first one and the sponge filter. It seems to act like a sump on my 40g. i had to put about 3 gallons of salt water to get it filled. i also run a Remora c Skimmer that pulls lots of crap out of the water. i really never had a problem with the HOB filter i just wanted to improve the appearance of my tank by getting rid of some of the clunkyness. i checked my nitrates this morning and they were at 0ppm. Before today the best reading Ive had was 5-10ppm. So i"m pretty happy right now!:)