Stolen Package

mraeric

Hey Guys! I'm bummed so I thought I'd share my frustrations with the lot of you.

So I ordered The Conscientious Marine Aquarist through Barnes and Noble online and it was to be delivered today. I've been so pumped about reading this book! So the package was tracked via UPS and delivered at 12:30pm today. I get home from work... and there isn't a package at my door, nor does the front office have a package for me. I look in the UPS delivery notes online and it says Delivered, Location: FRT Door. I can only imagine this means it was left on my doorstep and someone stole it. :angry:

Anyway... I'm hopeful I will be able to get another copy, or at least get my money back, but that seriously ruined my day. The worst part is, I really doubt that whoever stole it will actually be even remotely interested in it. Maybe the world will right itself and in stealing my book, this person might become an active aquarist and conservationist. *sigh*

Sorry to hear this happened. It's a great book well worth the wait.

The last time this happened to me I was able to get in touch with the driver who described where he left the package which was two doors down. A day late but I was able to recover the package.

I had 2 UPS packages stolen from my doorstep just a month back (on the same day)... who knows why as they were both fairly cheap computer parts and we've had other (pricier) things left at the door which have been fine.

Sad part was that the policy is to leave them at the apartment office, not the door if no one is home, so they would have been fine if they had just delivered them properly.

Anyways, you have to go through the shipper to file a missing package claim with UPS, I didn't have much trouble with mine, but it does take a couple of weeks. If it's actually stolen or missing UPS is liable and while it's not convenient for the company to deal with it, they will get reimbursed. It's also worth asking your UPS driver (if you get a chance) to recheck the truck, and I wouldn't file a claim until after a day or two goes by to be sure it actually is gone.

I have a copy of the book and you may sure come and borrow it until yours arrives...I have had the same UPS driver for years, so try to catch yours and try to get some info...let me know if you would like to borrow my copy...it's brand new as I have not had time to read it yet!!

Thanks Mama! That's very sweet of you. I'll pass for now because it will just make it that much more exciting when I finally DO get the thing in my hands. Now it's like a quest!

And thanks for the advice from everyone. I've never had a package stolen or misplaced before so this is new to me. I was hoping it might turn up today after perhaps being delivered to the wrong apartment number, but nothing has turned up yet. I'll wait another day or so and then put in a ticket to UPS and see where we go from there. Thanks all!

Call them immediately and also notify the seller as well.

Never wait to let them know there is a problem, the longer you wait the less likely they will care. Let them know that when you arrived the package was gone. Tell them you will wait a day or so to file in case it shows up, but always notify them. Many shippers I deal with will not honor any guarantee the minute the driver leaves. We have to open every package and account for every piece before they leave no matter how impatient they are.

As an example, I bought a motorcycle out of Iowa once and had it shipped to my shop where they could unload it with a forklift. Sure enough I get there 30 minutes later and find that the bike was damaged. The shipper told me to take a hike since the ticket had been signed for.

Update: Talked with UPS today. They are looking into it and said they would let me know if they figure out what happened. They DID deliver it to my front door though, which leads me to believe it was taken by someone. I also notified Barnes and Noble online and they replied back pretty quick saying they would send me a replacement copy immediately and if the original shows up I can just send it back to them. So that was pretty hassle free honestly. THIS time I'll leave a note on my door telling the UPS driver to leave the package at the front office though.. haha