Anemone Troubles?

mooric

The Details.

Purchased Friday.

Drip (Salinity) Acclimation for 45min + Temp Acclimation in tank.

Placed foot between two rocks on the sandbed so he would feel safe and not get blown around.

This morning he looked good, he had extended his tentacles and was letting them wave in the current.

This evening he has receded in between the rocks with all his tentacles pulled in. It almost looks like it's trying to consume himself the way he is all balled up.

I have checked all my water parameters and everything is normal.

Temp: 76

Salinity: 1.024sg

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: ~0

I have just left the anemone alone since I put him in the tank, since I have read that it can take up to a week for them to get "comfortable" after the stress of moving to a new tank.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Moo

Later last night the anemone seemed to be looking better. This morning he is still in a contracted state but not as sever as yesterday. I guess time will tell. I will just leave him alone for now.

They are weird creatures. My RBTA will shrink up to the size of a quarter at night sometimes (much to the chagrin of the clowns) but then be the size of my outstretched hand during the day.

The main problem signs you want to look for are:

1) Mouth "gaping" open

2) Not attaching to anything

Generally, when I have seen those signs, it is all over.

Yeah, especially as they're adapting to your tank it's normal to expand/contract. They adjust to the water, light, etc. Mine will extend during daylight hours and retract at night. It goes so far as to move up the rock during the day and retreat when it's had enough light.

Unless you see it spitting its intestines out you're probably ok. And, don't confuse expelling waste with intestines. My healthy ones will expel a ball of brownish waste. When my first BTA died, it spit out long tangly looking yellow guts. They look very different.

Well once my lights came on today he seemed to open back up to soak in the light. I guess that is a good sign. I have no idea whether he has attached his foot to the rock work at all yet, but I will continue to monitor his health.

Thanks for all the info.

Moo

Like said above it was probably adapting to its enviroment. They inflate themselves with water which gives them the shape you normally see. When they are placed in a new enviroment they dispell that water and in turn inflate with the new tanks water. Somethings to look out for is, it will probably bleach slightly as it is adapting with the new enviroment. If it ever does detach I would check your params as they are upset from one thing or another(yes even a bta). In my experience, as long as they can hide their foot but still be able to extend to the light; they have never moved around my tank. Also remember bubble tips are rather hardy so dont get worried the first time it expells its waste. Also I am a strong believer in feeding, I feed mine quite a bit(every two days) but I would recommend at least once a week.

Hope that will get you started.

Well I am worried that the anemone is done for. He has turned himself sideways in his space between the LR and I can see his foot now. It looks like something has been picking at it because I can see the tender white tissue that is usually covered by the maroon colored foot. I'm not sure what would have picked at it though since all I have is a peppermint shrimp and a ocellaris clown in the tank currently. I will wait and see what happens for now I guess.

Well I am worried that the anemone is done for. He has turned himself sideways in his space between the LR and I can see his foot now. It looks like something has been picking at it because I can see the tender white tissue that is usually covered by the maroon colored foot. I'm not sure what would have picked at it though since all I have is a peppermint shrimp and a ocellaris clown in the tank currently. I will wait and see what happens for now I guess.

That is odd. I don't think anything that you have would pick at it. Maybe the base got stung by a bristle worm or something in your sand bed.

Upon further inspection I noticed red flesh like material stuck to the live rock. I think he injured himself rubbing against the live rock. I guess now I just need to know how to tell if has perished or not.

Im pretty sure its a little late but if their mouth is gaping and tentacles are deflated and not moving at all, thats when I would pull it out. Shrimp can irritate them quite a bit but I dont think that was the cause.