Salt Of Choice

Derek

I've used Red Sea and Reef Crystals and I've been happier with the Red Sea as it takes less salt to reach 1.025 Salinity. And Red Sea always mixes up to the right params in terms of Alk/Ca/pH. Reef crystals was more variable.

RCA carries it locally. I think it is $55 for 180 gal worth of mix.

I knew I should have dropped by there. I ended up getting a box of hW Marinemix. It was definitely more expensive. I don't know if it is any better than Red Sea Pro.

• 1 month later...

I've always been under the impression that instant ocean was one of the better mixes. Any thoughts?

IO is good for fish-only tanks, but you usually have to over-supplement it for reefs. That is why IO makes Reef Crystals.

I've been using IO for a few months with mostly softies, my params stay very consistant. I do water changes every 2 weeks. The one time I tried red sea there was a ton of sludge at the bottom of my mix barrel. The various solids never would totally dissolve so I gave up. I don't know if I got a bad batch or what, never had that issue with IO.

Liz

I've been using IO for a few months with mostly softies, my params stay very consistant. I do water changes every 2 weeks. The one time I tried red sea there was a ton of sludge at the bottom of my mix barrel. The various solids never would totally dissolve so I gave up. I don't know if I got a bad batch or what, never had that issue with IO.

Liz

Sometimes I get sludge with most any salt when I mix the salt solution too fast. Adding smaller amounts over a longer period tend to keep sludge from occuring. I have used a variety of salts but I seem to be happiest with Red Sea Pro. I'd like to try the Bio-Actif tho.

IO is good for fish-only tanks, but you usually have to over-supplement it for reefs. That is why IO makes Reef Crystals.

I had no ideal that IO made reef crystals. You learn something new everyday. I'm going to need allot of days to catch up to some of you guys.