Feeding

Wippit

Each tank is an attempt to reproduce a small slice of a huge and very diverse ecosystem so there can't be once answer for all. But I did get some confirmation that not every animal needs to be fed as often as I see in some of the literature, and that is heartening.

The answer that I take away from this thread is that it's possible to not be chained to a tank by a feeding schedule, but reading and posting questions about stocking decisions would be very important to success.

Thanks all!

Wippit,

You have hit the nail on the head, each system is unique. Because I work 14 days on and 14 days off with no one home, I have used an extended refugium system. With refugiums and remote deep sand beds, I have left my tanks for two weeks with no observed ill effects. I often enjoy observing the little critters in the refugiums more than the display tanks.

Patrick

Thanks Wippit. :lol:

I wish I'd had months to study up on getting a saltwater tank. I kinda fell into a deal that was to good to pass up. Went to buy a bike from a lady off of craigslist, showed up at the door for the bike and she said 'Ya know anyone who wants a saltwater set up'.

Had a week to crash course study and I've been winging it ever since. I haven't done anything horribly wrong yet (yet!), but there are things I would have done differently already had I known what I was doing ahead of time and I've only had my tank since the end of Sept.

This is a wonderful forum and I've already met several really, really nice people. I was just telling my husband how awesome it is to find a group of people who are so motivated to promote the hobby and help newbies.

I need to get to one of the ARC meetings. I just want to sit back and listen to the people who know what they are talking and absorb info.

Liz

Liz,

I look at my first reef tank as a training experience. So far haven't killed anything in my 29 g bio cube, but its only been 3 months. I have learned quite a bit with a lot more to learn so am taking my time in setting up 120g show tank.

wayneb