Flow help

OgreMkV

Hi guys, I need some help.

I seem to flow a water flow problem. It's either too much or not enough and everything is getting POed at me.

The tank is a 45g pentagon. About 24 inches wide and high (on the longest sides) and 24 or so high. The top 1/3 of the tank is free from rock work, while the bottom 2/3 is pretty heavy. See full tank shot below

post-981-12624082436021_thumb.jpg

At the moment, I've got an aquaclear 70 HOB filter (about 300 gph), a koralia 1 (400gph) and a maxijet 900 (with a sponge filter) (less than 250 gph). So call it 900 gph.

I can't seem to get them adjusted to the point where the torch and the hammer corals aren't getting beat to death. I'm wondering if the koralia is too much (not to mention having a narrow range of positions) and I should switch it for another maxijet with the diffuser.

Since my chemistry is finally getting better (pH and kH issues) and I have no measurable nitrates, nitrites, etc... maybe I could slow down the aquaclear, I just don't want it to get stagnant in the filter.

I also want to get this fixed up before my fish come in.

If anyone wants to come over this weekend and fling advice at me, I've got some ham, southwest dip, chips, and some cookies left over from New Years.

Thanks

Kevin

Based on the picture I would say everything is fine. None of the corals seem "wind swept". It usually takes corals a while to acclimate to a change in the flow. My kenya trees usually take a day or so to stand back up.

You could aim your powerhead up towards the top of the water. That will cause a more even flow downwards. I usually point mine up about +10º to 15º from being parallel with the surface of the water. It keeps things from getting swept over too much and aerates the water.