Which Skimmer?

Rjohn

Pick the Skimmer you like.  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Go vertex. I have the 100 model so you are welcome to come get it out if you want. Skims great, very quiet.

I've had the coralife one and it sucked...HARD. Tons of micro bubbles and I could never get it to actually skim. Yes, its cheap and you get what you pay for.

I've only heard good things about the ASM. PM can be hard to dial in.

Go vertex. I have the 100 model so you are welcome to come get it out if you want. Skims great, very quiet.

I've had the coralife one and it sucked...HARD. Tons of micro bubbles and I could never get it to actually skim. Yes, its cheap and you get what you pay for.

I've only heard good things about the ASM. PM can be hard to dial in.

I can come get it out? Are you selling it? How much?

I had a superskimmer and while everyone seems to rag on them it worked pretty good for me once I got an ATO and got it dialed in. Did have to adjust the output considerably to get rid of microbubbles but it did an acceptable job.

Pros: Inexpensive and fairly tough (I managed to drop it a couple of times while setting it up as a HOB without cracking anything.

Cons: Loud, tricky to dial in, practically impossible without a constant water level. Need to modify exhaust to get rid of microbubbles

Advice, if you get one, let it run a full day or more before making any adjustments (unless the cup is just filling up). The dial in process went a lot smother when I stopped fiddling with it every 5 minutes.

That all being said I'm now running a Tunze DOC skimmer that I love. Quiet and virtually self tuning.

If I can't get it to pull any skimmate, I am going to drag you and Mark over here to trouble shoot.

Not a problem. I already gave Dave some tips this past weekend.

Dave: "The foam doesn't go up the neck"

Mark: "Have you turned the output adjustment tube towards 'closed'?"

Dave: "Oh. Didn't think of that"

Mark: doh.gif