Test kits or PH probe

Carrie

I have decided that I need a new test kit brand. My API test kit showed a PH of 8.8 at 9:00 AM and 7.4 at noon. If I really had a swing that high, I think it would have killed everything I own. What brand of tester do you use, and would you recommend it? I have heard from many sources that API is notoriously unreliable.

Also, are the inexpensive PH probes accurate?

Hey Carrie,

How old is the test kit? Could be bad, not sure. I would recommmend the ELOS test kit.

I spent $40.00 on mine to me that was cheap. Also it's a good idea to run your tests at the same time of the day. I run mine around 5:30 pm. I have a handheld probe you can use to calibrate your kit.

And as Mark will point out are you windows closed, this can cause a Ph spike do to CO2.

Dave-

I've been wondering the same thing, Carrie. I've never regretted getting my refractometer to measure salinity because I hated using the ones with the clear plastic thingy that were so dependent on whether or not you filled it just right. The refractometer has made water changes so much easier since it only needs a couple of drops to measure, so I'm leaning toward getting a pH probe too.

Here are a couple I came up with on a quick Google. I'd love comments from others on likes/dislikes.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4482

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hanna_Instruments_Waterproof_pH_Tester_with_Replaceable_Electrode_Single_Item_Monitors_Controllers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Hanna_Instruments-HN1131-FITEMOID-vi.html

http://www.aquacave.com/pinpoint-ph-monitorbr-by-american-marine-1571.html

There are so many different kinds. I've seen gauges, monitors, and controllers. I assume gauges you just use when you want to know, monitors stay in the tank continually and give you play by play and controllers add something to raise or lower it if it gets out of range.

Why does Mark's advice always require me to save money? Doesn't he realize that we aren't all independently wealthy?

OK, fine... Start saving for a controller. Now I just have to figure out which one. Is there a better brand than others? Ones that do more than just PH?

Why does Mark's advice always require me to save money? Doesn't he realize that we aren't all independently wealthy?

OK, fine... Start saving for a controller. Now I just have to figure out which one. Is there a better brand than others? Ones that do more than just PH?

I"m here to make your life easier! wave.gif

I have the ACIII and I love it. You can control everything from your computer (or iPhone) and they are easy to setup.

Others have the reef keeper as they are cheaper, but don't offer the internet control/configuration. Most people I know who have a reefkeeper wish they had an ACIII.

One thing to note, the AC III is no longer made, as there is a new controller in its place called the Apex. The apex is new, still buggy (V 1.0 are usually that way) and IMO not worth the extra cost.

There have been a couple of AC III full setups on reef central the past couple of days so I can keep watching for you if you want. A good ball park is $350-$400 for the AC III unit, DC-8 (power brick controlled by the unit), temp and pH probes.

If I am reading Neptune's website correctly, the ACIII Pro Monitors and corrects PH, Temp, ORP, and Oxygen, and controls wavemakers, lighting, etc. Is that your experience? Would I need to buy anything in addition to the ACIII?

If I am reading Neptune's website correctly, the ACIII Pro Monitors and corrects PH, Temp, ORP, and Oxygen, and controls wavemakers, lighting, etc. Is that your experience? Would I need to buy anything in addition to the ACIII?

I don't have the Pro as I didn't need the additional monitoring (ORP, Oxygen) or the wavemakers.

The ACIII will monitor temp/pH/ORP and will control all your lighting/powerheads/pumps so it worked fine for me and would be fine for your as well given what I know about your setup.

The ACIII is the head unit that controls the DC-8 (powerbrick). So the package you'd need is AC III, DC-8, temp, pH probe. That should cover your tank. You can always add another DC-8 later if you need it.

I don't have the Pro as I didn't need the additional monitoring (ORP, Oxygen) or the wavemakers.

The ACIII will monitor temp/pH/ORP and will control all your lighting/powerheads/pumps so it worked fine for me and would be fine for your as well given what I know about your setup.

The ACIII is the head unit that controls the DC-8 (powerbrick). So the package you'd need is AC III, DC-8, temp, pH probe. That should cover your tank. You can always add another DC-8 later if you need it.

U B fast!

I use a Hannah meter and it works very well for me, they have some really cheap ones and I would stay away from them.

Some advice...always keep the probes clean, wash it off after using it in the tank. One of the most important things to know about the probes is that they must be stored in clean water or ph solution, if not it will ruin them and they will not read accurately...I learned this the hard way and new probes are not cheap.