automatic feeders

alasg001

I am wanting to make feedings more regular and ensure the tank gets fed flakes when I take off on different weekends. What are your recommended feeders both good and bad? What's the easiest? Most dependable and reliable brands. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I was curious when you made the post what the replies would be. I'm thinking by the lack of responses, no one uses them, which is not a big surprise. I've had an Ehiem one I've had for years that I got as part of a tank purchase and have never used it. If I can ever seem to get my water parameters and Nitrate issues I keep having under control, I would like to use one. But obviously after doing this for 4 years I'm not there yet.

Stephen

I don't use or trust automatic feeders because of past experience with freshwater ones. I take an ice cube tray and put a mix of mysis, phyto, oyster eggs, and pellets in each cube and then add tap water to fill the cube and freeze it. Whomever checks in on the tank is instructed to drop in the appropriate number of cubes to feed the tank.

For something as short as a weekend your fish can go without eating. For longer trips this makes it easier than trying to tell quantities to people.

I've had one Ehiem and a Current USA (one low end and one mid range) I tried to setup on one of my fresh water tanks for vacations etc. I never got a single successfull feeding out of either. The next time I think about getting one I think I'll just flush a couple of twenties.

Obviously your milage may vary.

I stayed away from flakes because of their rep for phosphates. I'm using a couple of different pellet recipes, plus some cyclopeeze flakes that I crushed up with a mortar and pestle. I'm still noodling with the food mixture because too much of it floats for too long - my trigger will hit anything on the surface, but the anthias won't (yet?).