Clove Oil and catching fish

mFrame

I'm currently combating Ich and have done all the normal "reef-safe" treatments (garlic in the food, reef-safe ich treatment). I don't want to treat the whole tank and would prefer to remove the affected fish to a QT tank for treatment. However, catching them is a pain in the butt due to all the caves and crevices in my LR. I don't want to destroy the tank catching them.

I don't think I would actually try this, but wondered what you think of it:

Clove oil to catch fish

Basically you could use clove oil to anesthetize the whole tank, remove the numbed fish to the QT, then do a 50% water change.

What do you think?

Although it might work, it may cause problems on down the road. I would think that it would be absorbed by the rock and sandbed if you have one and slowly release back causing abnormal fish behavior. Even with large water changes youd only be diluting the oil and I suspect it would take some time to be completely gone. Ive had tremedous luck controling Ich by O2 deprivation, raising the temerature will hinder its ability to thrive, feeding well along with good water perameters will usualy help, maybe even the temporary use of a good UV sterilizer.

I have tried to use clove oil in several instances in the past for FW fish. My guess is you would not have to worry too much about it get absorbed by rock and stuff. When I have used it, it was very hard to dissolve in solution, and much of it floats. My guess is you would be able to skim much of it off. Of course the problem line here would be if you have seen formulas for how much oil you add, does this assume much is not dissolved. My guess is you don't have to worry about after effects but it also may not be effective in a larger tank. Mine was also in a small volume.

Bill