400W MH bulb and ballast

pbnj

I'm looking forward and contemplating lighting for my 240g (96x24x24).

My initial plan was for two 48" 2X250W+T5s Outer Orbit fixtures, especially since I already have one fixture. My ideal plan is five Hamilton Cayman Sun 400W HQI Systems with LED lights and Hamilton 400W HQI ballasts.

I'm not concerned about the electric bill, but I am concerned about the amps needs to run all these 400Ws.

On average, how many amps is required for a single 400W bulb/ballast? I guess I can contact Hamilton Technology, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I know I have 20 amp circuits and the room has four available outlets, but I haven't checked to see if the outlets are on one or more circuits. I'll play with the breaker switches and find out.

Edited by pbnj

Ooooo, maybe this is the way to go!

http://www.eco-lamps...2%20leaflet.pdf

From what I've been reading, LED lamps cost quite a bit more than MH initially (unless you DIY), but can pay for themselves over time in power savings and lamp replacement costs. If you haven't already, you may want to talk with Dena, her husband built a LED setup for one of their tanks and showed it off at the last meeting. It looked pretty impressive

doktorstick,

Would a 660-09 ballast be about the same. Would the amp draw be on the data plate? I looked on the Icecap site and couldn't find amp information anywhere on any of the ballasts. Also, are most newer houses have 20 amp circuits? How could you find that info out?

Stephen

From what I've been reading, LED lamps cost quite a bit more than MH initially (unless you DIY), but can pay for themselves over time in power savings and lamp replacement costs. If you haven't already, you may want to talk with Dena, her husband built a LED setup for one of their tanks and showed it off at the last meeting. It looked pretty impressive

Dena's man-toy did do a DIY LED lighting, but I was the one that gave the demonstration of my LED build at the last meeting.

It really depends.. a lot of houses use 15a circuits, but lately more are going with 20a circuits and heavier wiring (with 15a receptacles, probably to keep from confusing people when they see a "sideways" slot on their plug) to keep up with our power-hungry society.

pbnj,

I'll check my breakers and see what they say.

dockorstick, I called Marine Depot tech spt and asked them about the Icecap 400W ballast. They said it pulls 5.4 amps. Also asked them about the 660-09, and they said the same as you have 4.4 amps.

Thanks for the link on ballast performance, I'll read it.

Stephen

That is a really nice light system. Looks exactly like the one I hand built for myself. Wish there had been one like this at this price point when I got in the hobby. All you could get was dodgy Coralife fixtures without bulbs for about that price or Maristar fixtures for about $1,500. Hamilton used to not sell a nice fixture like this as they were hand built wooden canopies.

I might even consider replacing my fixture as it is getting on about 5 years old now.

Looks like my power issue have been solved. Today I tested the circuit breaker switches to see what was what.

The bad news is that all of the outlets (4) and lights in the tank/living room are all on one 20A circuit.

The good news is that on the other side of one of the living room walls is the laundry room, which has three outlets that are all on separate 20A circuits: one for the washer, one for the dryer, and a third outlet that's designed for a secondary freezer. I just need to run an extension cord (rated for 20A, of course) through the wall to that outlet, which even accepts the perpendicular blades that a lot of 20A extension cords have.

So, I should have at least 35 amps in total to work with safely. Assuming even 22 amps for 4x400W MH lights/ballasts and 7 amps for the 1/3 HP chiller, that leaves another 6 amps or so for the pumps, powerheads, and anything else.

Edited by pbnj

Just read that Aquatinics is planning on releasing a new T5/LED hybrid lighting fixture (72" fixture only).

This would truly be a great combo. All of the efficiencies of the T5s (reduced heat/power) and a slight shimmer effect from the LEDs that MH people prefer/require.

Edited by pbnj