Vinegar is your friend

Reybeast

thought I would show youse people the benefits of using vinegar to clean up hardware. I like for my pumps etc to look nice and clean, so about once a month or so I take them out and soak them in vinegar for a few hours (or overnight) to clean them up. These are some Koralias. if you use vinegar, just be sure to wash it off with soap and water and rinse very well. before and after pics attached. Most if not all that stuff on the before picture falls off with very little scrubbing (if any). If you soak anything with an O-ring, I suggest you silicone the ring after soaking to make sure it stays pliable.

post-746-12590710418578_thumb.jpg

post-746-12590710565337_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reybeast

Good tip ... I have some korlias I need to clean up to sell.

Though, I am not too sure on the suggestion of using soap and water to rinse them. I would probably just use water. Soap has a nasty tendoncy to hang around for a while. I had always heard/learned that use never use soap for anything fish tank, but bleach was ok. And reverse for bird cages (I used to keep birds also).

Use silicone food grade grease, not silicone caulk. It will make a difference.

I use vinegar some of the time, but I prefer pool acid. You can get 2 gallons for about $10 at Hdepot. It reduces a looooonnnnng way, meaning it will last you much longer for much less dollars. Plus you can decide you strong you want it. I generally run 10:1 water/acid. Then pour the acid on your driveway and your driveway will be clean too.

If you don't want to go with something with as much oomph as pool acid, HEB usually sells a stronger vineger at 9-10% instead of the usual 5%.

I've also had a fellow reefer tell me to remove the rubber suction cups from the Koralias before soaking b/c the acid makes them brittle.

I have a saltwater pool and need to add Muraitic Acid to keep the pH within range. I would /not/ use that stuff. You are entering the realm of respect-this-chemical-or-i'm-going-to-cause-myself-serious-harm. In other words, burning sinuses, eyes, skin, damaged clothes from micro splashes.