DIY canopy for 29g biocube

diabeetus

ok, so what ended up happening was i put a rubber tie down strap on it to keep it bent. in the mean time i threw it in the dishwasher after the washing part was done and the steam clean part had just started. (the whole holding it over a boiling pot thing didnt work because it was only steaming the middle of the board...) so after about 10 minutes in the dishwasher, i took it out, soaked and pliable :). it worked out very nicely. i left it to dry over night and this morning i took the rubber strap off and it looks great!! i mean, it could look a little more professional but for what im doing, it looks really good :P now all i have to do is put it together!

Corey

EPIC FAIL!!! :(

i messed it up pretty bad. i only had about 13 dollars invested in it, but i blew it. i need to try something else. i stink at diy projects :)

i need thicker wood and need to learn how to measure a little better. it was a little too small. i think i can fix it but i dont have much patience after a failure.

There is also plywood that is made to bend. You might could find this at Fine Lumber, Hardwood Products and possibly WoodCraft. But this is going to be the most expensive way.

have you ever handled bendable plywood? does it stay when bent? or do you have to brace it somehow?

when doing the canopy - are those pieces of wood sticking out just going to rest on the top of the thing or are you going to get more contact then that? jw about doing mine, if the top should be supported all the way around by the frame or if just the corners might work

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY SOME PICTURES!! :) as you can see, its a solid piece of wood for the fascia, and still needs to be smoothed out and painted. i put in an extra, stationary piece for my fuge light that is not attached to the canopy but when finished looks seamless :). im very impressed with myself. thanks for the help everyone!! and i will post more pictures next week after i get back from dallas for thanksgiving and its all finished.

now under the 2 supports i have running across the canopy, i will install one set of moonlights on each support beam. i have a red one already, should i stick with it and get another red one or get a white one? or get 2 new white moonlights? hmmm. decisions...

Very impressive! Looks good. What color are you going to paint/stain it?

Dave-

not a flat black, but i think its satin? its almost a flat, but not quite. but anyways, its going to be black like the stand and trim of the tank :)

thanks for the compliment, i appreciate it :)