How to hang lights in a canopy?

mFrame

I'm constructing my canopy for my 90g and it looks similar to this:

gallery_884_149_682.jpggallery_884_149_5592.jpg

I have (2) 250w single-end MH with reflectors, magnetic ballasts, and an Icecap 660 with wiring harness that I will use for supplemental T5s. The previous owner of the MHs ran T5s as well and has bulb clips inside the MH reflectors to hold the bulbs. Is this a normal setup or should I put the t5s outside the MH reflectors using their own 48" reflector around each bulb?

2) When I wire everything, what should I do with the ballasts? I assume they shouldn't be in the canopy itself due to heat/water/etc, so I was thinking that I run all wiring out the end of the canopy and down to the floor where the ballasts can sit (though probably elevated so that if there was a water leak they wouldn't get wet).

gallery_884_149_44935.jpg

The tank/stand is setup as a peninsula so I can't put the ballasts in front or in back because they'll be viewed. I plan to build a cabinet for the wall-side of the peninsula and ultimately see putting the ballasts in it. Good plan?

You definitely don't want the ballasts inside the stand, moisture as you said and they will create a lot of heat. You can put them on the ground or you might look at placing them on top of your canopy until you get the other cabinet built. I would use separate reflectors for the t5 if you have room.

Due to space I had to install my ballast in my stand. I have a clip on fan blowing across the ballast (which comes on w/the other fans when the water temp reaches 78.5). It sits on a shelf on the dry side of the stand. Just my 2 cents. :P

I've kept all my ballasts in my stand with no ill effects for 6 years. 2x 250w Icecaps and a Fulham Workhorse 7. They are just screwed to the inside of the stand and it's all wire nutted together.

Have you considered not enclosing the top of the canopy and hanging your lighting from the ceiling? Best thing I've ever done. Never once have I had to worry about my tank temp. Plus the fact that I have the back wall of my "canopy" about 4" lower than the front (which disguises the fixture so that it is not visible), Whenever I need to access the tank I just pull the canopy forward and set it on the ground. Total access.

Yeah, I would love to not enclose the canopy but hanging the light isn't an option due to the ceiling fan placement in the breakfast nook. To compensate I've made the canopy 16" high and have dual fans pulling in from the left and pushing out from the right (Cabcool dual fans).

So, conflicting opinions about the ballasts in the stand. The ballasts I have are magnetic, does that play a factor at all? I have room where I can mount them by the ATO jug on the right....

The stand doesn't have fans in it, but the doors are not air-tight and there is a cable access on one side. I haven't fired up the MH's yet so I'm not sure what amount of heat they'll generate.

With it being a peninsula tank there's no way to leave the back open, it has to be completely enclosed (that was the deal with the wife to have it in the main living area -- everything has to be hidden)

I would build a box, it can be wood, that will house the ballasts and then install a CPU fan that is directly wired to the ballast. Have it pull air out of the ballast area, cool air will find a way back in. When the lights come on, the fan will come on.

I say hang the pendants from the ceiling fans. People pay thousands for those slow moving light racks. Problem solved.