What do I do with this anemone?

Daisy82

Ok, so I think I did something silly - I went out and bought a clownfish, and saw that he was enjoying this anemone. So I bought it too. Well, I thought it would be an easy keeper, and didn't put much thought into it. I looked up some articles on how to keep them (as he was floating in my tank - I know, I know doh.gif ) , and discovered that they can be difficult to keep. Well, information that would have been useful before I bought it.

So after slowly acclimating it, I put it gently on the bottom of the tank between a couple of rocks and turned off the pump so he wouldn't get churned around the tank. Since then, he has been floating around the tank, bumping into things (I'm worried he's going to destroy my softies), and an hour ago he ended up wedged between a rock and the glass, all smooshed-like. So...

1) What kind of experiences have you had with anenomes? Is this a bad idea, or maybe do-able?

2) Is there any way to make him stop floating everywhere? I'm wondering if he'll ever attach.

3) Will this little tentacled beast kill of my corals? I have a variety of mushrooms and polyps, nothing serious.

BTW, I haven't identified the anemone yet - it's the size of my fist with a pink base, brownish-pink tentacles with green tips. Any guesses? The geniuses at the store had no clue.

Little info on your tank would help. Is it established? What are you parameters like? What kind of lighting? Anemones can be challenging if your not prepared, but at the same time they are very easy if you have the right setup and the general knowledge base.

Also, I am not trying to get a store bashing started.....but, any decent LFS should be able to ID the products they sell, and be able to provide basic knowledge of care. Dare I ask what store it came from.

You're right, clowns *usually* don't like condy's but some will go to anything with tentacles, including corals like frogspawn, elegance, etc.

Are the tentacles long or short? Could you post a pic?

I too am shocked a LFS would sell you an anemone without even being able to tell you what type it is. VERY unusual. Maybe you shouldn't say the name of the store so as not to start a bashing thread, but you could PM it to anyone who asks. Like me, I'm curious. :doh:

Sounds like a Long Tentacle anemone to me. They will host clowns unlike Condy's. If you spent more than $15 for it, it better not be a condy. If you have the proper lighting and the tank has been established for a while you could be ok. Anemones are tough to call out of the box. Some can be rock solid and easy while another of the same species will wander all over and never be happy. Let us know your set up and we can help you better. A pic would help also.

My tank has been up and running for about 8 months. I started with all the live rock, some sand, and some water from a healthy, established tank. My water has been consistently testing normal, with no serious spikes.

65 gal with 15 gal sump, approx 100# live rock, protien skimmer, fresh charcoal every couple of weeks. T5 lights - 2x white 18ks, 2 actinics.

The store I got it from was a chain. I'm sure that any other LFS around here would have been alot more knowlegeable about their stock. Sorry for the bad photos - he decided to hide behind the pagoda and I can't get a clear shot right now.

Will the anemone damage soft corals by brushing by, or does it take alot of exposure to the tentacles over time? Should I try and stick him in between something, or just let him float until he finds his happy place? Thanks for your opinions,

post-992-12565016090396_thumb.jpg

post-992-1256501666985_thumb.jpg

You will find that you don't have nearly enough lighting for that tank with the anemone. It will most likely begin to deteriorate and shrink within a few weeks. Daily feedings might help it last longer. I don't think the anemone cares either way for the actinics as they don't offer much in the spectrum that they can refine into photosynthesis. That leaves you with 2x 18K, again way to high a spectrum.

Does anyone have an opinion? Should I let the anemone float, or try and confine him? Will he damage my softies?

A floating anemone is not a happy anemone. Turn off your pumps, and put the anemone in a spot touching the rockwork. If the foot is not damaged, it should adhere to the rockwork within a half an hour or so.

And yes, it can damage other corals with just slight brushes of the tentacles. Anemones will move around a tank looking for the best flow and lighting. So they might come into contact with other corals. I have had an anemone kill mushrooms and a candy cane coral before.

This sounds quite familiar. When I went home for lunch today I found that one of my condylactis anemones had detached from the rock (where it had been living for 2 weeks) and been sucked into one of my powerheads. Unpleasant, to say the least. I'd say definitely be careful with powerheads until it reattaches.

I would try and gently wedge it into a spot high in the tank with a small piece of LR. Try and move the rock in a few hours if the nem doesnt crawl out from under it first. Turn off the powerheads. Maybe look into more lighting, and feed it often. Mine love mysis and krill.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I tried wedging it a bit between some rocks near the top, but he ended up drifting toward the bottom. I had to leave my powerheads off for the whole day, but he finally ended up attaching to a rock.

How often do anemones need to be fed?

Note that if the nem doesnt eat its ok, alot of times they wont eat for weeks my little bubble tips never eat, i feed them and feed them but they dont eat but their super small and they grab things every now and then but i have seen the little guy go for 4 weeks with out eatting right before he split.. if the clown is still hosting in it the clown will feed the nem too.