Blue Spotted Jaw Fish

reefman

I'm not worried about it jumping because I already have screens on because of the 4 fairy wrasses I have. I'm more worried about whether he would be hurt because I see him getting a mouthfuls of sand and sifting it thru his gills. I was wondering if there is a nutritional thing he is getting from that.

Stephen

All the ones I've had ate pellets as they fell, however they would sift the sand for the remainder of the day.

Personally I feel that with the experiences I've had with blue spot jawfish, I think it would cause to much stress on the animal and it might waste away. With that said, it might be ok if there was some sort of protected rock cave that it could hide within to feel safe. Keep in mind that fish, shrimp, and others that burrow do it for a reason, generally safety.

You know what, this might not be a blue spotted jawfish after all, he could be a blue spotted goby (if there is such a name). He does spend most of his time in the cave, and only comes out when I feed twice a day. He does get bits of the fishy mix, but I've seen him also sift. he would still have his cave, however, at least until after I get the sand out I start washing the rock and/or replacing it. The new scape would still have plenty of caves.

Stephen

The good news is the goby should be fine with that substrate. :)

I have to disagree. I had an orange spot goby that got too skinny and eventually died when I had a very small sand bed. They are eating when they sift the sand. Unless you see yours eating a lot of prepared food I think you may be writing him a death sentence by leaving him in a sandless tank.

+1 to what Gabe said. Plus, when I had a yellow watchman, it would sift the sand somewhat looking for extra food.

I would not put a jawfish in a bare bottom tank. Like crmike said, it is not it's natural environment, and will most likely be stressed out. Jawfish can be very picky creatures.