High gph pump needed

mhart032

I have a brand new mag 18 in the box. with recipt. I'll sell it for $100 NEVER USED, i was gonna use it for my return but it way to big. My tank wont drain water fast enough to keep up, it will literally drain a 40 gallon sump super fast. And i have an 1.25" drain not the usual 3/4"-1" drain. give me a call 512-971-1925

Well i have the diy chiller with 40foot of hose in it that runs before it returns back into the tank and the pressure just isnt their it doesnt trickle out but its not powerfull by any means. i can stop it if i put my fingers over the return in the tank. i dont know what else to do to get more turn over. im maybe 1/2 of what i think i need witch is 300gph.

yea otherwise i would be in fear of overflowing lots of stuff lol.. am i correct on the 300gph turnover? can it be less? everything is doing great im not having any problems with the setup im running now, i just worry about things being kinda "proper reef setup" if you know what i mean.

I got a good priced external reeflow snapper pump for sale in the for sale thread this thing moves a lot of water fast if you have the room.These pumps can also be turned up or down using a valve and has no internal wear on the pumps motor.In other words you should be able to tune it to your systems needs.

Edited by luckylou

I was just going to say the same thing.

It is pressure you need to maintain, not GPH. A high GPH pump might not be able to handle any pressure. What you are doing is creating a tremendous amount of drag within the hose you are using. Tubing and hose of any kind is a terrible conductor of liquids. Thinwall sch10 PVC would be much easier on any pump you choose. It is much more slick with less drag resulting in more GPH from less pressure. Look up pumps to see how many "feet of head" they can handle. This is how many feet it can lift water before cavatation sets in. Basically the impeller will continue to spin and churn water, however it won't push the water anywhere. You'll need to consider a few things. For every 5 foot of level pipe you might need to exchange that for 1 foot of height and don't forget to factor in however many feet the pump needs to push any water up.

If you wabt more flow in the tank but the drain is limiting try an eductor. I have a Penductor with 3/4" male NPT. Dependingon pump characteristics the in tank circulation is 5 to10 times the flow thru the orfice. I have one for $20. Try it, you may like it.

Pat C