Fish and tanks

mhart032

I have been wondering this and i think about it alot. i wanted to get some other opinions on this im ure the corals dont care as much as the fish, atleast i think that cause they dont move around alot like fish do.. my question is this. do you think fih like living in our aquariums? do you think we take better care of them then they would take care of them selves in the wild? feeding them and making sure they are healthy and what not. do you think they ever have enough room to do what they need to? i have a 90g and i only have 3 fish 2 clowns and a pink spotted goby and i worry about them having enough space in my 90g. these mite be stupid questions, but i think about it alot.. are they truely happy is the main question...

My opinion is this... Captive breeding is the way to go. They don't know any other way of living and what you can provide for them is a lot better than living with 100's of others in one tank. But if you don't have captive breeding fish even in the wild they won't go too far from where they call home. I can't speak for a fish but it must be a plus not having to worry about getting eaten by a predator or starving to death. Once agian just my opinion...

ZJ

Edited by ReefGazer

I think clowns do well in a tank. they dont venture far from their nem in the wild. I think some do better than others. I put a yellow tang in my 55 to help out with the algae and also because I have always wanted one....but I dont the he is very happy. Its only 3", but I think I will try and find him a bigger home soon. If you pay attention to their health and behavior, I think you can decide if they are happy or not. 3 fish in a 90, especially those 3, should be really happy. I would like to load up a 90 with a bunch of small fish one day. I also agree that captive bred is the way to go. They do so much better in captivity. I would like to see a lot more of us try it.

I think clowns do well in a tank. they dont venture far from their nem in the wild. I think some do better than others. I put a yellow tang in my 55 to help out with the algae and also because I have always wanted one....but I dont the he is very happy. Its only 3", but I think I will try and find him a bigger home soon. If you pay attention to their health and behavior, I think you can decide if they are happy or not. 3 fish in a 90, especially those 3, should be really happy. I would like to load up a 90 with a bunch of small fish one day. I also agree that captive bred is the way to go. They do so much better in captivity. I would like to see a lot more of us try it.

Hemp, you hit the nail on the head.

Happiness is an illussion. However, behavior is an indication of weel being and contentment. A friend "Aquascaper" from Lareefclub.com operates a mail order wholesale facility in Lake Charles, La. In one case, a customer returned an aggressive, ill tempered ell. While I do not like marine predator tanks, he hand feeds this 3' foot long ell and also brushes its teeth.

It took 3 months to produce the contented behavior of this ell. Bring out the fish shrinks please.

Have a bodacious day, because it is a choice.

Pat

Let me preface my reply with that I do love having fish in with the corals. It feels like it completes the whole environment of recreating a reef.

I agree that large fish probably are not "happy" in a tank, such as large tangs, as in the wild they spend their lives move over vast expanses of the reef foraging for food.

For fish such as clowns/shrimp gobies/jawfish I do think a large aquarium does emulate their natural territory. But even fish like damsels tend to span huge diameters of territory in the wild. My talbot damsels think they own the whole 75g tank. I am sure if I had a 250g, they would still think they own the whole thing.

I don't really think the "they don't know any other way" statement is true, as instincts kick in. This can be shown by captive raised clownfish still pairing with an anemone. Or Bangaii's needing a long spine urchin to spawn/raise their fry in. If we were able to aquaculture tangs, I am sure they would have the need to roam.

Just my thoughts.