pump "antivibration" padding?

Eckreef

I am currently plumbing my sump and tank (40g breeder and 20L glass sump).

Return pump will be an Eheim 1260 in the sump.

Do I need to have something under the pump to insulate it from vibration?

I have a scrap piece of insulating styrofoam (blue board used to insulate exteriors walls for a house).

Would this work (and is it reefsafe) or is there something better?

If you are buying the 1260 new it comes with a dense foam pad to use

edit: Actually I believe it is the Mag pumps that come with a foam pad, I believe the eheim comes with rubber feet

I have a new 1260 and it came with neither.

Eck-

I have a 1262 and I do not have problem with noise unless it touches the side of my sump. Even then, its barely noticeable.

The best thing I've seen is to put blue/pink styrofoam under the sump itself - on the outside. Of course if you sump is already set up...might not be so easy.

I use a piece a cut your own filter the white kind that comes in sheets and is used for aquariums. i just put it under the pump problems solved..

Thanks Mhart!

I like this idea.

I was about to use a mousepad but it has a strong "rubber" smell and was making me nervous about using in my reef.

I use a piece a cut your own filter the white kind that comes in sheets and is used for aquariums. i just put it under the pump problems solved..

I did this when I had my mag pump, but I found that the filter padding was never rigid enough-- the weight of the pump would eventually squeeze the filter material down into a very thin, dense sheet and the sound/vibration would be back. Something more foamy like a mouse pad would have been my choice.

Went to Aquatek today looking for filter material.

At Bruce's recommendation I got some Poly-filter.

It fits perfectly under the eheim 1260 and is about an inch thick and somewhat resistant to compression so it should keep its "shock absorbancy" for a while.

As an added bonus it passively filters phosphates, ammonia, heavy metals etc.

Aren't poly filters a little expensive to use for that purpose? That's actually the type of padding I used for my Mag. Hopefully it works better for you.

Also, if you're looking at a filter pad that removes the same stuff as the Poly filter, except more effectively, check out the PURA Filtration Pad (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=MN3311).