Fresh Water Fish

chatfouz

Hey Foutz,

Why do you think that a beginner tank has to be freash water? I can assist you with a "bullet proof" reef tank that is as easy as any community freash water fish tank. Try it, you'll like it.

Pat

Hey Foutz,

Why do you think that a beginner tank has to be freash water? I can assist you with a "bullet proof" reef tank that is as easy as any community freash water fish tank. Try it, you'll like it.

Pat

oh heavens salt can be very easy. Its just i dont have the money to get lights, substrate, rock, or salt, or the time to mess with daily salt checks and top offs. Cichlids are very easy, keep water in the tank and the filter clean...

With the exception of salt up front, the rest of the cost can be minimized and often eliminated. Lights are the last thing you need and in fact you don't even have to use lights if you go non-photosynthic. The biodiversity that would develope from an arogonite sandbed and one live rock to seed itis amazing. Look at the way the European startup there reef systems. They spend a year cultivating the bottom of the food chain in their large reef systems (1000G). No skimmer to remove nutriants. Use natural reefkeeping techniques to recycle nutriant into sandbed critters, micro inverts with numerous worm type feathers including gorgeous Christmas Tree worms. Use macro algae vegetable filters to remove nutriants by trimming, to recycle nutriants by feeding fish and to provide a habitat for micro inverts such as amphipods and copepods. The possobilities are endless. While I do have expensize kits, I seldome test, as observing the tank will talk to you. When I see red film, I add phosphate resin. If my water trys to get off color, I change carbon. Observe the corals polyp extension for more sudtle changes. For me it is less technology and nore biology. You don't even have to understand the biology, just do it.

Pat Castille

wow and all this time i was putting so much work into my freshies, water changes, water testing, dosing.............much more than water and cleaning the filter

what kind of dosing are needed with a Fish only? it is much less than compared to daily maintenance of salt. While I admit its not a huge ordeal it is more work.

Edited by chatfouz

what kind of dosing are needed with a Fish only? it is much less than compared to daily maintenance of salt. While I admit its not a huge ordeal it is more work.

In my opinion, no dosing required. As with everything, it depends on the type of fish that you stock your tank with. People make this hobby as hard or as easy depending on choices up front. Get more specific with your questions.

Have a blessed day.

Pat

With the exception of salt up front, the rest of the cost can be minimized and often eliminated. Lights are the last thing you need and in fact you don't even have to use lights if you go non-photosynthic. The biodiversity that would develope from an arogonite sandbed and one live rock to seed itis amazing. Look at the way the European startup there reef systems. They spend a year cultivating the bottom of the food chain in their large reef systems (1000G). No skimmer to remove nutriants. Use natural reefkeeping techniques to recycle nutriant into sandbed critters, micro inverts with numerous worm type feathers including gorgeous Christmas Tree worms. Use macro algae vegetable filters to remove nutriants by trimming, to recycle nutriants by feeding fish and to provide a habitat for micro inverts such as amphipods and copepods. The possobilities are endless. While I do have expensize kits, I seldome test, as observing the tank will talk to you. When I see red film, I add phosphate resin. If my water trys to get off color, I change carbon. Observe the corals polyp extension for more sudtle changes. For me it is less technology and nore biology. You don't even have to understand the biology, just do it.

Pat Castille

oh yes. i can agree with that. I love natural tanks. Those that run without massive amounts of chemicals or artificial uses. The problem isn't it that those are only possible with larger tanks? a 30 gal is not large enough to do such a set up is it?

I stand corrected. I obviously have much to learn about this. Where can i find more about this system of tanks?

Go tto the GARF site and read the "Bullet Proof Reef". While I find their site somewhat jumbled, the approach works for me. I would never recommend a 10G reef tank for a starter. Your 30G tank would make an excellant starter reef tank. If your vertical is more than 13", I would recommend you go with a Jaubert plenum using 3-4 mm arrogonite. The arrogonnite as a substrate is critical for buffering and trace elements. Not only do the bacteria do nitrification in the top 1-2" but faculative bacteria do denitrification in the bottom 2" where the lower pH dissolves the substrate and buffers the tank automatically with no effort. Go figure. Who would have thought that natural tank were so easy. With respect to more scientific literature, John Tullock authored "The Natural Reef" Anthony Calfo & Robert Fenner authored "Reef Invertebrae. Julian Sprug and Charleds Delbeek authored "The Reef Aquarium" Without a doubt "The Reef Aquarium" series is the Bible of reef tanks. Volume 3 "Science, Art, and Technology compares all manner of reef keeping and discusses each with its pros and cons. Enjoy the hobby. If you take it serious, it is addictive.

Pat