My 75g build

Robb in Austin

Wouldn't you want to throw some cheap fish in there to cycle the tank before moving everything? When I setup my new tank I put some of my existing live rock and some new fish. I left them in ther for about 6 weeks and then moved everything over to the new tank, live rock, corals, and remaining fish. Even with this transition I still lost several fish to an ich outbreak and stress and I lost about 7 small acros, even though the parameters were exactly the same and the lighting was exactly the same. This didn't happen overnight, it took a few weeks for everything to start looking better.

Once I get the sand in I will throw in a rock that is covered in GSP. I'm hoping that between the Stability, using same rocks, and proximity of the move will reduce the risk.

That's what I thought too but it took almost 6 months for my tank to become completely stable again. I had to move my livestock 4 miles down the road and moved 500 lbs of cured live rock to the new tank. I thought everything would be the same...just in a bigger tank. But it probably took about 3-4 months before my corals really started to grow fast again. I'm sure everything got stressed some from being loaded in containers and then moved to the new tank, probably took 20 min before they were put back in. I was really surprised at how everything reacted from being moved, I had a sunset mille that took months before it had full PE again. With everything I could test for there was no difference in the water quality or parameters from my previous tank so I really can't explain it besides a change in flow and maybe a slight change in lighting. Although I'm using the same reflectors and reeflux 12k bulbs my old tank had more watts per foot than my new tank.

A tank is born....

post-371-0-17952100-1294879429_thumb.jpg

I added roughly 60lbs of Caribsea Seafloor Special Grade sand yesterday and ran a few HOB filters to help clear the sand storm. I added a handful of rubble rock that I got at Aquatek and some old snail shells that were laying around in the 58 to help seed the fuge and sandbed.

The Koralia is in there temporarily. The white tube you see on the right is my BRS Two-way GFO/Carbon reactor that is currently

on the 58.

I'll probably leave it as is until next week and then move everything over.

Since Collin asked I suppose I'll answer here:

The livestock will be the same as my current 58, since I'm just moving them over; royal gramma, tailspot blenny, lawnmower blenny, 2 green chrmois(assuming they dont reduce themselves again), 2 blue reef chromis, 2 Clarki clowns, Lamarcks angelfish, various snails, 2 emerald crabs, 4 clams, 2 GBTA, and all my corals except whatever Xenia/Anthelia I can get off. Corals: galaxea, frogspawn, hammer, various zoos, ricordea, acan, 2 trachyphyllia, and the toadstool.

I want to add another 6line, or maybe a yellow or green coris, wrasse and a tang of some type. I may add more clams/zoos/trachys but am not planning on going all out on the coral front. Maybe a pink birdsnest but that's about it.

Just food for thought ... when I upgraded from my 24g to 75g, there seemed to be a switch in what corals I could keep. The real main difference between the tanks was lighting (PC on 24g, MH on 75g).

For example: In my 24g, I could not keep xenia alive, and gsp was taking over everything. In my 75g, xenia flourished, and the gsp barely grows.

In the 24g LPS did great, in the 75g I can't keep them alive ... same for anemones, they don't want to live in my 75g. Zoa's did fine in the 24g, but are growing fantastic in the 75g.