My 75g build

Robb in Austin

You mean when you turn the open channel into a siphon? Otherwise it is going to have air...

It also looks like your outlets are low. They should be just a bit below the surface of the water. Otherwise the siphon can have a harder time getting going fully.

(speaking from the voice of no experience, but lots of reading. :) )

I switched the open and siphon caps to see what happened and, lo and behold, the air leak followed suit. So, apparently I have a leak at the Jogn Guest fitting and the cap. Even though the JG fitting has a goodly amount of Teflon tape around it and it's screwed in all the way. I also have a goodly amount of TT around the cap itself. I'm thinking I may run a bead of silicone around the JG fitting and the cap.

I'm somewhat torn about what to do with the outlets. Mike came up with the great idea of using the tees as support/outlet, so my pipework is fully supported. I was going to run a 2x4 underneath the piping as support but all three lines are at slightly different heights so it wont work.

I think if I can get the leak fixed, all should be well. Regardless, the system is working just fine. I may have more water running down the open channel than it's designed for but it's not a build killer.

Robb keep in mind that we did not glue the tees on the bottom. Your bulkhead holes are to large anyways. This means that you can actually "bump" your lines to make them all exactly the same. So you could indeed run a 2x4 underneath and have them all at the same height. Just bump the tees in the sump and they will still support the pipes. Couldn't be more than a 1/4" difference between them. Then again it was pitch dark outside.

I wouldn't choke down the Eheim. It's perfectly sized for the tank.

Not to sound like a choad, but is the tubing pushed all the way into the JG fitting? If it's not bottomed out completely it won't seal.

• 4 weeks later...

Update time again. A bit sooner than the last one at least.

I fiddled with setting up some type of support underneath the drains, and in doing so, managed to make the bulkheads leak. So it went on hiatus for a few weeks.

I got put on call today and Chris(oOzarkawater) and Mike (caferacermike) were nice enough to come over and help me. Mike had the leaky bulkheads fixed in about 3 minutes(he's a 'plumber' so this is expected but still stinks). Chris and I moved the tank back into the house, Mike and I filled it up to check for leaks, and then we sat around BS'ing for a few hours.

The tank is currently in its location, running FW to ensure no leaks and passes the power failure tests. I'll prolly leave it this way for a few days.

It is still leaking air on the open pipe. I'm not real interested in trying to fix it at this point. It's quiet, can certainly handle all the flow the 1260 is putting out, and the emergency pipe is ready to take up any slack if something happens.

I'll post some pics soon.

Look at all that space surrounding the tnak. His tnak measures 48x18. That space is 72x24.

I thank you misunderstand what I was asking. What made him choose a 75 gal instead of a 90 gal for the display tank?

Nope I 100% fully understood your question. But as I said, why not fill in the entire space. Heck you could've asked him why not a 110 or 120 as they have almost the same foot print as a 55, 75, or 90. I just went straight for the throat and asked him why he didn't fill in that giant hole?

Jeremy,

It is a slab foundation. One with a crack running front to back and, as of the last time we checked, a 3" drop from one side to the other.

The tank is it sits has about an 1/8" out of level from right to left.

Be thankful you live west of 35.

AHHH..ok, i have a friend in the business of leveling houses, might could get ya a good deal.

• 3 months later...