My 75g build

Robb in Austin

I've been slowly adding to the tank over the last 4 days. Current inhabitants are 2 snails, 1 plug of zoos, 1 small rock with 2 rics on it, my galaxea, and an acan rock courtesy of Mark.

I noticed some algae growing on the sand as well.

ahhh the teal acan rock...it lived in my tank for a few months too. It was dying when he brought and I was able to save it. It started growing back after a month or so but I really didn't have room for it. Cool acans though, you really don't see that color very often.

Touche.

Here is the FTS, non white balanced, with initial aquascape. We've already moved the frogspawn to the upper right, pushed the GSP rock on the far right over more, moved the galaxea to the center, moved the rics to a rock, and moved the zoa farm to the left next to the clams.

post-371-0-61516600-1296013532_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hey MF,

Don't think I ever saw your question, sorry about that.

Overall, it's nice but it's overkill. If I ever upgrade I'll just use a factory setup I think. Mine is mostly quiet. I had some flushing type problems initially but those quieted down until about a week ago. I do love the failsafe aspect of it as well as the internal overflow. I'd give it a solid B.

Onto the update...

A few months ago I started losing open brain LPSs. My thought was my water was too clean, based on running a GFO/GAC reactor along with having a fuge with macro. So I took the reactor off line; no change. Others suggested too much lighting, so I started running just 2 lights; no change. The end result is all LPS died for unknown reasons.

About 3 weeks ago I started losing fish, and now I'm down to 4. I feel that most of it was due to poor maintenance on my part.

Latest FTS:

FTS_7_9_11.jpg

• 2 months later...

Update.

So after not running any GFO/GAC for some time, ~2 months, I decided to put it back on line.

A day or two afterwards, I noticed my zoos started staying closed. I watched and waited.

They remained closed and started withering away so I took it back off line. Magically, they reopened. I got a frag of my frogspawn that I had previously fragged for ChrissyPoo(aka o0zarkawater) a few days later. Magically too, the frogspawn seems to be doing well.

So, my conclusion is the combo of GFO/GAC+macro algae, was too much for my LPS and zoos and that is what melted my previously beloved specimens.

• 1 year later...

Holy cow! Almost a year since the last update.

Hrmmm, what's happened in time since? New lamps, new RODI filters, general maintenance, fish added and bullied to death, lost my clams to a polyclad flatworm.

Current livestock list:

Fish:

Sailfin

Clarki pair

royal gramma x2

starry blenny

blue-green chromis

melanarus wrasse

Inverts:

RBTAs

2 halloween hermits

1 blue leg hermit

some snails

3 emerald crabs

Corals:

GSP

anthelia

1 toadstool

1 frogspwan

1 hammer

orange/blue rics

green/blue rics

blue rics

1 Trachyphillia

eagle eye zoas

some blue zoas

some green zoas (radioactive dragon eyes?)

some other green zoas (green bay packers?)

some orange zoas

some green/red zoas (whamn watermelons?)

some greenish-blue palys

My RBTA split 3 times, so now I have 4. The biggest is about 4in in diameter.

I took my emeralds out, cause I thought they were eating zoas, and put them in the fuge for a month or two. While they were out, I discovered that it was asterinas eating the zoas. So, any asterinas I find on my zoas or the rock they are on get pulled out. It seems that only the black/cream colored asterinas eat the zoas. The solid cream colored ones stay away. The emeralds got added back and I've not seen any issues.

I added my GFO/GAC reactor back. It's been off for a few weeks, up until about a week ago maybe two, and since then I've developed a coating of hairy algae on the back wall and the return. I've also noticed a lime green algae forming in low flow areas.

I plan on getting a CUC and seeing what that does for the algae.

About 2 weeks ago, when I added the reactor back, the power supply for my MP40 died. Since then, I've been using a Coralife CP1300 I got from the Fish Gallery folks for flow and it's been fine. I've got a new PS due in tomorrow.

FTS from tonight:

post-371-0-53020900-1350008793_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Wow. I gotta get over these yearly updates.

Pics!

FTS

post-371-0-64936600-1383948656_thumb.jpg

Jedi Mind Trick. From Clint at the 2012 frag swap. It was just a nub until about 3 months ago then exploded.

post-371-0-17485600-1383948710_thumb.jpg

Ponape(?) Birdsnest. Got this from RCA at the 2012 frag swap as a 2" frag.

post-371-0-08437300-1383948779_thumb.jpg

Various SPS. The purple monti came from the 2012 frag swap too. It was about the size of a quarter.

post-371-0-78574300-1383948838_thumb.jpg

RBTA rock. There are about 12 on this rock(although you can't see em all in this pic).

post-371-0-98395400-1383948941_thumb.jpg

LPS corner. The bicolor frogspawn was supposed to go to the office tank but I can't bring myself to do it.

post-371-0-09905300-1383949012_thumb.jpg

Lobo v brain

post-371-0-29822300-1383949123_thumb.jpg

Mixed zoas

post-371-0-94238200-1383949157_thumb.jpg

More mixed zoas

post-371-0-73051100-1383949202_thumb.jpg

Ricordea rock. I've had these since I set up my 58 5 years ago with 3 heads.

post-371-0-64248800-1383949406_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks yall.

@Grog; that started as a little chunk of rock with about 20 polyps on it, probably half and half of each type. I had a orange sized rock covered in those ones with the yellow centers that I lost so when I saw that rock at RCA I jumped on it in trade.

@James; yeah, we've been pretty pleased with the growth.

@Lorien; me too. Too often, IMO, once a build is done we tend to forget about it. I always enjoy updates so I try to keep up with mine. Obviously, I'm not doing a great job.

• 5 months later...

The latest FTS!

post-371-0-20740300-1399775446_thumb.jpg

Ok. The REAL last FTS. 4/14/14

post-371-0-56179000-1399775476_thumb.jpg

Yesterday, 5/9/14, I got a call from SWMBO that she found water on the floor by the tank. No biggie, sometimes Mama Clown or others will splash water onto the floor when feeding.

Ha!

Woke up today and found more water on the floor. About a pint. Oops. Initially we thought it was the FW tank but, after a few minutes of digging, we found a leak coming from the bottom front seal of the tank. sad.png Moved all the livestock to 3 Rubbermaid tubs. The giant rock of palys and another with em growing on it are in the tub with the lid on it. I won't shed a tear if they all die off. I did move some stuff to the 20g due to space issues in the tubs.

The hunt has begun for the replacement. Looking for something in the 6ft/180g size.