Berghia nudibranchs

Fragsnmore

A few years ago there was a local MAAST member who raised them and brought them to a meeting, I think he was asking like $10 a pair or something. Would be really nice to have a good source locally, heck, some of the LFS could definitely use some in their tanks. :(

The article was interesting. I've been trying to find it but can't right now. You have to have two setups. A multi-box display aquarium for the nudibrachs and a running channel type refugium where you purposfully grow aptasia. Then you can feed the aptasia to the berghia. Bonus of an inline animal filter if you are willing to run it through a UV or risk aptasia in your display tank. Evidently the hardest part about actually raising berghia is getting enough aptasia to keep them alive. In the same article they actually reccomended against using them to control aptasia unless you had a really serious outbreak as you would have the berghia for a few months (at most) and then lose them all when the aptasia all dies out. The little guys need to have daily access to thier food to survive.

I just think it would be fun to try to grow aptasia on purpose and be happy to see it for once.

I ordered some from beghia.net about a year ago. I released them into my tank per the instructions. I have not had an aiptasia problem since, although it took several months before the colony got large enough to make a dent in the aiptasia population. I can occasionally see a couple of the little buggers if I get up in the night and use my flashlight. They do not like light at all. If you had any rock at all, they would be extremely hard to harvest.

If you had any rock at all, they would be extremely hard to harvest.

Thats why you are suppossed to use the little (one to 2 gallon per segment) shop display tanks. I even saw one build online that was using a series of quart tupperware containers and it looked like a commercial operation (I'd guess a hundred tupperware.) Again, they had a serperate aptasia grow out tank that they swapped rocks full of aptasia in and out to all the beghia grow out sections.