Slow RO/DI

Zarathustra2

I just hooked up my newish RO/DI. It is suppossed to be a 65GPD unit. I have it hooked up at my faucet for the washing machine off of a split. In the last day it has probably put out about 30Gallons. Any suggestions on what I should check up on to get the output a bit faster.

+1 for pressure, theres one other thing to try but check the presure 1st. theres a screen u can remove that will help but check the pressure 1st. Sometime the R/O membrane has to get broke in. when i turn mine on it will put out a little over 2 gallons then go dry. I wait for 10-15 mins then get more. Mines not as big as urs though.

How old are the filters? Even with good pressure a clogged filter won't allow correct flow. It is also possible that the wrong flow restictor was installed or that the RO membrane is not rated for your expected flow rate.

heres what you do, take a gallon ziplock bag open it all the way up around the facet open it up full blast for 30secs 5 inches is a gallon in the bag, so if the bag is 1/2 full in 30secs then you have 5-6gallons per min.. this is just for a ruff estimate. i used to use this trick when i worked for Marriott i did engineering quality control and inspections. (basicly i went to properties and made sure they were up to standards in the engineering aspect) i was a chief engineer for 5 yrs prior. anyway it works and its fairly accurate..

Yea, I need enough water to cover the live sand and rock I am picking up today. After that I'm gonna hold off till I get an RO/DI. Since I'm cycling the tank I'm not all that worried about excess nutrients as the algae blooms will take those up. Anyways... need enough nutrients to get the algae scrubber going.

heres what you do, take a gallon ziplock bag open it all the way up around the facet open it up full blast for 30secs 5 inches is a gallon in the bag, so if the bag is 1/2 full in 30secs then you have 5-6gallons per min.. this is just for a ruff estimate. i used to use this trick when i worked for Marriott i did engineering quality control and inspections. (basicly i went to properties and made sure they were up to standards in the engineering aspect) i was a chief engineer for 5 yrs prior. anyway it works and its fairly accurate..

Matt

I am interested in this method but I think you have explained something wrong. I read it as saying a one gallon ziplock will hold 5 or 6 gallons of water??

Bill