HELLO ALL

russell

HELLO ALL. NEW MEMBER HERE. I HAVE HAD A LITTLE BIT OF EXPERIENCE WITH A SMALL NANO A FEW YEARS AGO BUT NOW I AM SETTING UP A 120G. ANY INFO OR GUIDANCE WILL BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. I HAVE THE TANK SET UP JUST WITH THE LIVE SAND. LOOKING FOR LIVE ROCK. BEEN LOOKING ONLINE BUT NOT SURE HOW SAFE THAT WOULD BE. WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THIS IF ANY.

Welcome, the best advise I can give you is be patient. Don't rush anything, a good tank will take months to stabilize and years to mature. Don't add any live stock until the tank has cycled. I would use a cocktail shrimp to start the cycle and remove it after it starts to break down. There are products out there that say they can speed things up but most are just a scam to get your money. Whe you do add live stock add slowly. Always use R/O water never tap. Ask as many questions as you can, in most cases someone has gone through it. Also, ask before you buy it will probably save you money.

That's great. What were you using?. I have found that there are a lot of products out there that do not deliver on the promises they make. IE. water purifiers, how can adding a substance to tap water remove impurities? Adding does not remove anything. If you are adding a bacteria to promote the growth of good bacteria that is completly different. All I was saying was be careful and don't waste money on something that will naturally happen by it's self. The only thing I add to my tank is food and ESV. As long as your imports and exports are balanced a system should not need anything else. This is just my opinion, hope I haven't offended.

Edited by muddybluewater

Water purifiers largely act by binding the impure molecules/ions and converting them into something else. They aren't physically removed from the system, they are just processed into something else. That being said, I don't spend any money on them either because I can't get my head around that they would enough good to justify the cost.

Bacteria in a bottle can be spotty as if the bottle gets too old, it can become useless. I think this is particularly true in the Texas heat. I have always had luck with the stablity product from seachem.