Shipping Discus from Taiwan

ACampbell

A friend of mine wants to have some discus shipped to him from Taiwan. These fish have sentimental value and shipping costs is not an issue. This would be from citizen to citizen, not a store or anything. Would it be feasible without the stop at a whole seller? I would think that even if the bag was filled with oxygen that the ammonia levels would get to high. Would it get held up in customs? Looking for some insight. TIA.

<talking with nothing to back what I am about to say up with>

I would think Customs would be involved. And I would not risk shipping them without knowing 100% for sure what the proper procedure is, seeing they have sentimental value.

I was reading elsewhere where a shipment of SPS from one person in the US to another in Canada got "randomly" selected to be searched, and got held up for multiple days. Needless to say everything died. :)

I would think maybe striking a deal with a wholesaler or local store might be the best way.

</talking with nothing to back what I am about to say up with>

Had some plants shipped from Singapor this spring. 1st shipment got hung up in customs for 15 days. Can the shipper in Taiwan possibly get in touch with one of the wholesellers there and maybe arrange for them to ship or at least give advice?

• Like 1

if really valued, I would recommend making a "vacation" of it. Fly there, get the fish, fly back :)

I think the amount of water needed to carry the discus aboard the plane in more than the 3 oz they allow :)

At the MAAST collection trip a couple weekends ago, Bob Fenner was giving some pointers on dealing with a wholesaler/LFS to ship collected items back from dive trips. I'd email him at Wet Web Media to see if he has suggestions.

I think the only reasonable, and legal, way to do this would be to go through a wholesaler. Getting the proper permits as an individual would be very difficult. Shipping them incognito via FedEx or EMS would likely result in dead fish and/or legal consequences.

Edit: Assuming your friend is in Taipei, he/she might try asking at one of the LFSs on Minchuan East Road. A few of them do a lot of importing/exporting and may be able to help.

Edited by Tang Salad

I didn't actually try but I was looking into this on a trip I took to India. At least for India you had to have a license specific to exporting or importing live animals which was fairly hard to get. I went to a fish store while I was there asking about it (they have some awesome loaches) and was told to just order the fish on the net. So I think finding a wholesaler and making a deal is the way to go.