Lots of wrasse!

Robb in Austin

Howdy all,

I got to thinking today, would it be possible to have multiple wrasses in a 75?

I picked up a yellow coris wrasse Saturday at The Sale™; he and my 6 line seem to be doing ok. I thought it would be

nice to have 3 or 4 more when I setup my new tank(whenever that will be). Maybe a few fairy wrasses or something along those lines.

Thoughts?

I have had 3 in a 125 without issue. You just have to keep them all as different from each other as possible. If they are similar shape and color you could have a problem. I have heard 6 line can be one of the more aggressive.

I have heard it helps to add multiple wrasses at once, that way one does not get a chance to set up a territory.

With that said, I did not have a problem adding by blue sided fairy wrasse to my tank, which had an existing six line.

And my six line must be the exception ... he does not pick on the other fish. He will hold his ground when the stupid damsels try to bully him, but he has been model tank citizen. The only time I have seen him get aggressive is when he sees his reflection in glass.

I would have to agree w/Gabe about the sixline wrasse. We realize we can't keep other wrasses, this fish will chase them around and eventually they will die. Don't get me wrong on this little fish....we like the little guy since he/she is the reason why we've never lost a clam due to parasites; very diligent (he/she even checks every new coral that we bring into the tank) and has a cool personality. I would consider what Gabe said about keeping several...as long as they look different in color and shape...research on their compatability.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

After some late night Internet shopping I think I would like a leopard, a lubbock, and a mystery. Seem good?

My six line has been very well behaved too. He did show off a little to the yellow coris when I first added him, but nothing after the first 20 min or so.

5 in a 75 might be pushing it. That Coris will get big too. I would leave out the Mystery. They are quite shy (hence the name) and he might get out competed for food. Make sure when buying a Leopard that it will eat prepared food. That can be a big issue for them and a 75 will not produce enough pods to sustain him. The Lubbock should be a model citizen.

• Like 1

Those sound good. Though at first I thought leopard were not reef safe, but LiveAquaria says they are (but they also list them as "Expert Only Care" for some reason??). The mysteries are nice, but out of my price range for a fish smiley-sad027.gif

Oh, BTW, the dome had a beautiful pink capped wrasse for a mere $89 :) It had the colors of a pink square anthias. Orangy pink body, with a hot pink "cap" on it's head.

Wonder if that's the one that was there a couple of weeks ago that we (my daughter and I) were choosing between it and the Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse we ended up with.

Those sound good. Though at first I thought leopard were not reef safe, but LiveAquaria says they are (but they also list them as "Expert Only Care" for some reason??). The mysteries are nice, but out of my price range for a fish smiley-sad027.gif

It is because of how hard it is to get them to eat prepared food.

I really want a six line wrasse but from all the ones I seen at

Lfs, they seem too small for

My 75 gallon tank

They always look so small in the stores. But it would love the large tank, tons of places to explore. And I swear mine has doubled or even tripled in size since being in my 75g tank (since January).

Not to hijack the thread but since we have such a variety of wrasse fans following I wanted to ask how serious is the risk of wrasses jumping out of the tank?

Just picked up a 120 rimless so I've decided against a canopy and want to know if I need to throw out the idea of having a couple flasher's wrasses.

Thanks,

Russell

Not to hijack the thread but since we have such a variety of wrasse fans following I wanted to ask how serious is the risk of wrasses jumping out of the tank?

Just picked up a 120 rimless so I've decided against a canopy and want to know if I need to throw out the idea of having a couple flasher's wrasses.

Thanks,

Russell

I have never had issue with my six line jumping out of the tank. But I have spooked my blue sided fairy wrasse before, and he jumped out the back 1" open area of my glass top, onto the top itself. I got him right back in the tank with no problems.

That is my only concern Russell. My current tank is open, and the 75 will be too, and so far so good.

I figure I will have to add some type of netting cover though. There are lots of plans on line for how to make them out of

DIY screen kits from Home Depot/Lowes. Just have to use plastic frames and screen material and figure a way to keep it on the tank.

Thanks,

Russell

My Fairy Wrasse somehow made it into my overflow...through egg crate. It had to jump at least a little. And probably wriggle a bit to do it.

Sooner or later they'll attempt to jump.....and for some odd reason that 1" gap, crack, hole or overflow box....they seem to aim really good and it's sayonara. The ideal thing to do is an enclosed canopy or some type of screen over the tank...for that clean look some desire.