Moving Information Needed

BigScott

Hello again,

As I mentioned in my earlier post my wife and I are moving to Austin in the near future so that our daughter can go to the deaf school. The problem is that we don't know anything about Austin and don't know anyone who lives there. Can you give recommendations on areas to live or NOT to live, good school districts (we are also adopting a child who is not deaf), and if you know which ones, the schools that coordinate with TSD? I would also appreciate a recommendation on a good realtor in the area. Any information you can provide will be welcomed. It will be hard for us to make many trips as we currently live in Lubbock. Thank you in advance.

BigScott

So how long do you have to find a house and where do you live in Lubbock now? I have a friend who teaches or is an administrator at the TSD and will ask her about tie ins with local districts. TSD is just south of downtown Austin so is right in the middle of Austin ISD. Just to the south and west of downtown you have Eanes ISD which is very highly rated and the houses are priced accordingly ($200/ft for late 70's construction/looks and it goes up from there for the nicer homes). Even further west you have Lake Travis ISD which is growing with young families but traffic getting into town cannot be fun.

As for where to live or where not to live, it depends on what you are looking for. The burbs will have the most kids around, while neighborhoods near downtown that used to be undesirable are experiencing rapid gentrification with teardowns etc. If you are looking for Eanes, I have a realtor for you but homes start at 350k for unremodeled homes! confused2.gif

Feel free to PM me,

Dylan

^ is some good info. If you can't afford to live in the Westlake, Terrytown, areas, I would recommend looking along the Loop 1 side of town instead of the I 35 side. One the neighborhoods are usually nicer, and two the traffic is much better. I 35 is always a mess. If you need an Agent I know of 2. One specializes in North Austin, Pflugerville, Round Rock area, and the other is based in Westlake.

I absolutely love East Austin, but then again I'm nuts. But honestly my neighborhood is increasing in value so quickly I'm going to be forced to move next year. THIS IS going to be the most expensive area to live in the next 5 years as it's close to downtown and downtown keeps consuming houses. One block east of 35 and 1 block south of Ceasar Chavez. I'd recommend something in Bouldin. It's one of the last South Austin holdouts. I lived there for 3 years and really liked it. It's within walking distance of the TSD. Of course there is always SOCO and the surrounding neighborhoods, even closer to TSD but expensive by my standards.

I think the place is good is the area near Slaughter and the south of Austin, there are starting to expand. I think the best place is south Austin and can drive to TSD about 10 to 15 approx minutes away. there will be no problem, TSD will offer the Bus for your daughter to transporting to TSD school. whatever I live in rent property that I have see the place.

I just bought a house (closed Nov 13th) and think my agent was wonderful -- experienced, well-informed, and concerned about what I wanted rather than what she would look for. I've lived in South Austin for more than 20 years. When I was looking for a house, I stayed South because I like it, even though it means a longer commute for me.

But as someone else said, it depends on what you're looking for and on your budget.

ej