Not sure if I should buy this live rock.... suggestions please?

Daisy82

Well, I'm looking for live rock to start my tank up with and I went to see some today. I'm a little worried because in one of the tanks this person (not a member of the ARC) has, I noticed some aptaisia. He said the rock did not come out of that tank, and that aptaisia wasn't a really big deal because his shrimp eat it all the time. He showed me the tank the rock came out of, and I didn't see anything bad in there. Also, a bit of the live rock he's selling had some dark green slimy looking algae on it.

What do you guys think? Should I be worried? Also, the rock fills a 10 gallon tank right now, and he said it's a little over 100 lbs. Does this sound right? I have no idea how to tell how much this rock weighs! I need to make a decision quickly, and would really appreciate any suggestions.

i would buy dead rock from the prof. he is a sponsor on the site and has great rock. It sounds to me like this would work out the best due to you not having to worry about anything right from the start.

Do some research once your dead rock goes into the tank to cycle so if you have any problems you will know how to handle them.

the owner of the ARC sponsor Epic Reef. His real name is Dave, but you can PM under member name "prof". Make sure you checkout the goat while you are there. The goat gave me aquascaping advice when I was picking out rock.

I just bought over 20 lbs of Liverock from Prof- Epic Reef, about 2 weeks ago. The rock he has is GREAT! You won't go wrong there. He has a huge selection of dry rock (like a full pallet about 5 ft. tall) and some in the water. My rocks came with brittle stars, snails and who knows what else it's still cycling... Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5. I did have two anemone's on the rocks after I put them in the tank. One was an aiptasia but I got a lot of help from the ARC on getting rid of them before he spead. Good luck!

~Shawn

Best stuff i have found is Blue Vet aptasia killer, you dont have to inject the substance into the nem it just coats it and kills it. i believe its just a high dose of calcium but i could be wrong.. i had an aptasia on a peice i bought, but its no big deal easy to kill with the blue vet

I got some peppermint shrimp from the Aqua-Dome and they took care of mine. I had a piece of rock in my 14 gallon biocube that had about 10 aptasis on it. All different sizes. the one shrimp even ate the big ones. Some people say this doesnt work for them but I have had good luck with it. I even have one in my 29 gallon biocube who took care of the aptasis.

how do u get rid of aptasia?

I got some peppermint shrimp from the Aqua-Dome and they took care of mine. I had a piece of rock in my 14 gallon biocube that had about 10 aptasis on it. All different sizes. the one shrimp even ate the big ones. Some people say this doesnt work for them but I have had good luck with it. I even have one in my 29 gallon biocube who took care of the aptasis.

if you get peppermint shrimp, you won't need to feed your lionfish for a couple of days!

So what your saying is Lionfish will eat everything? lol i would have went with the peppermint shrimp, but i would have just been feeding my pistol shrimp.. he likes to eat shrimp. well shrimp, crabs, snails. just about everything but he leaves fish alone.. the first night i had him i lost 4 hermits. the second night i lost a emerald crab. then a couple snails disapiered. i keep him pretty well fed now..

When you put them in there just give them a couple of days to a week. They will get the job done as long as they stay alive.

i bought a cleanershrimp and my lionfish didnt even touch it but thanks for the tip!

im go to RCA and buy a couple of peppermint shrimp!