Tropic Marin Pro

hammondegge

You will not regret it. That is some GREAT salt. When I switched to that salt I noticed a better quality of the tank conditions, not to mention that it dissolves realy quick.

I realy like this salt, and it seems that it is alittle more consistant than some other brands of salt(IMO).

LMK how it goes for you.

Unfortunately I got the last bucket. Butt they always carry it in stock, plus they got a cool store to surf around in. If they do not have it, Carlos, or Randy will be more than happy to see if they can get it for you. Butt everytime I asked them to get something, they get it. Try them out. LMK

I just got a bucket of the regular Tropic Marin online. I forgot where I got it, but it was almost $20 less than at Rivercity (sorry Carlos I had to say it, confused1.gif but I AM one of the ones telling Robert/Hammonegge to check out RCA :)).

Wait! I think it was at Drs. Foster and Smith. They only charged about $8 shipping.

Butt is not the pro.  That is where the money difference come in play I think.  Unless they had a bucket of just regular Tropic Marin.

I think I was comparing apples and apples. I believe I had asked the price of both at RCA (if they'd had it in stock) and it seems like it was $69 for regular and $79 or maybe even $89 for the Pro. I bought the regular Tropic Marin 200g bucket for $49 (plus $8 S&H) at DFS. I just checked and now they have it listed at $57 for regular and $64 for Pro. I could be wrong on what I'm remembering as the price at RCA. dontknow.gif

I feel badly posting this because RCA is my favorite LFS now, and Carlos has really treated me well when I've bought stuff there as well as when I just go in there for a "fish fix" or water tests. If I'm incorrect on the prices there, somebody please correct me because it's been a couple months since I looked into it.

The deal with all LFS stores is this, they can't compete price wise with the online vendors on dry goods. Think of the online vendors as the wal-marts of the fish world. They can buy pallets and pallets of salt so they get a great deal on it. Then they can sell it to you cheaper and normally do.

You're paying a slightly higher premium to support your local fish store. This is the place you'll NEED in any time of emergency, where you get to see your corals and fish before you buy them, and the place that offers education and sponsorship to sites such as this. Sometimes the choice is obvious, you'll have to support the big online giants because they have SUCH a better price. My opinion though is that if you can buy it at the LFS for a reasonably higher price, I'll take my LFS anyday.

John

You are absolutely right, John and in most cases I don't mind paying a little higher price at the LFS for exactly the reasons you stated. As an optometrist, I know first hand from the retailer's perspective just how brutal the competition can be from online stores. You're right in that we are the ones you will NEED in a time of emergency like an eye injury or infection, or just to be able to get a contact lens right away in a pinch when you tore your last one this morning. We try our best to be competitive with the online contact lens suppliers, but in many cases we can best compete with them from the service perspective rather than price.

However, there is a point where I have to listen to the wallet, and I expect my patients to do the same. It hurts to do all the work determining their contact prescription and then have them take a copy of it to the online stores, but I understand that loyalty can only take you so far. For me, that line is somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 or 30% of a purchase. :(/

Mega dittos to what the dude was saying about the LFS. Support them when you can and they will be around when you need them. I am going exclusivley with as much of Seachem as I can with my new tank. So far I am happy with the results. My polyp extension on my acro frags is great. Plus this is the first time I am going with all stonys. Please give me any feedback on your personal experience with Seachem. I started with Kent out in California and never really seen any great results, then started using Red Sea when I moved to Austin for my 20gal. AA is who got me turned on to Red Sea.

Thanks for any help

glasses1.gif

Where does the calcium and alkalinity run for the TM Pro, like say at a salinity of 1.026? I just tested my aged Instant Ocean saltwater (not yet added to tank) and the Ca was 350, alk 8.0 dKH, which were both lower than I expected. No wonder I'm adding so much B-Ionic.

rprew and hammondegge, what test kits are you guys using? I'm surprised to see the huge difference in Ca results, since you both tested at s.g. 1.025.

Aqiadoc, did you ever get a chance to test this?

Mike