building a nano tank

Christian

I want to build this fish tank http://www.sciviews....jean/index.html but nano sized. I like how has the drop off but I also like the shape of an "L" tank and would like to put them to gather. I would put the drop off on the short side of the "L".

I need to know how to calculate the volume because I don't want the tank to be more than 20gallions to cut down on the cost of glass. I also want it to fit in a 30inch by 15inch space. I also want to put a sump/built in filter. So any thought on how to build the tank and the filtration system would be appreciated.

Here is waht I came up with I know the tank is going to be more than 20g with thees dimentions for the tank.well It's kinda hard to say the dimentions because it's not a rectangle.

areaoftank.jpg Ok thaat is the main part of the tank, now the drop off is going to be were the 12inch wall is and tis going to sit on this table.

P1030455.jpg

Calculate the area overall as two rectangles. Then figure out the volume of the triangle that you have taken away and subtract.

That being said i think you are weakening your basic design and makeing your stand build a lot more difficult. I personally would say that if you are in this forum asking the question you probably don't have the experience to be able to pull this off. Not an insult or anything but the general box shapes are much easier to put together and use. I would just think that you would need to be an expert to pull off a non-standard design like this and be confident that it will hold for the long term.

Why not go with the standard "L" design. Then you only have square joints so wont need a special jig to put together the sloping design you have.

And maybe i am wrong and you have loads of glass experience.

I'd love to see it, but wonder why you're incorporating the angle from the above down view. I would think that it would be much simpler with rectangles than trying to add the angle because you'll have to bevel the glass on the sides. Also building a stand to fit it will be a bit odd. Cool concept though

Unique is cool, but just thinking that for a first attempt at building a tank your success will hinge on the level of complexity. I'd think that if you can build it (and build it well) without the angle and gain the experience, you won't have an issue selling it later when you want to try the more complex design. Baby steps....