I Have Started My SW

Razor

Well, I was finally able to get my last freshwater fish a new home today! I think he'll be happy after a long hard days work at Dell (Thanks Zarathustra2). After I orphaned the little guy, I stopped by Aqua Dome and checked out their setup. It looked pretty good in there, but I was saving my initial purchasing for a sponsored store so we went up to River City. That's a nice place too. I was not planning on starting my SW tank today. I knew that if I could get out of Austin without buying anything I'd be good for another several months. But looking at all those corals and accessories I sure envied all you guys here. I couldn't stand it any longer! I turned to my darling wife to tell me to wait a little longer, but she failed me! She said, "Sure honey, I want you to get everything you need to start." Hmm, I figured I'd start small, like a power head or something to just look at and hold until I got ready to actually put water in the tank. After carrying the Koralia 2 around the store for about 30 minutes, I thought I'd take home some sand too. One thing lead to another and I was puttin' home in our car with salt, power head, test kits, substrate and a single 5 lb rock!

The rock is soaking in 5 gal saltwater with the power head and the tank is sitting on it's stand with 40 lbs of dry substrate in it. Prior to putting the substrate in the tank, I cleaned it really good and the wife taped off and painted the back a really nice blue. So, after we finish painting the living room tomorrow, I'm gonna push the tank against the wall where it belongs and fill it up! I then need to decided how much live rock to put into it to start the cycling- any suggestions? I'm happy with the amount of substrate that's in it right now. It's about 3" deep.

I'm gonna order my lights, protein skimmer, heater, RODI kit, and other odds and end things in a few days. Anyone have any last minute suggestions? I'm looking at the Current USA Sundial 30" light kit right now. My tank is limited on the lighting because it is 30" long and it has no hood. I've been looking seriously at the Aqua C line of skimmers that hang on the back of the tank. The tank is not drilled and I don't have any room for a sump right now.

I guess the most important question here for me is, how long will I stay in this 29 gallon tank? So far I'm predicting I can hold out for a 2 full years before I even think about getting a bigger tank! What does everyone else think?

Well, I'm off to look at my 5.2 lb rock sitting in the bucket!

Edited by Razorsharp

I guess the most important question here for me is, how long will I stay in this 29 gallon tank? So far I'm predicting I can hold out for a 2 full years before I even think about getting a bigger tank! What does everyone else think?

MUAH! :lol::lol:

6 months...MAX. more like 4.

Welcome to saltwater Shawn. You’re certainly off to a good start by asking questions.

I started with a 29 in December and am now running 3 nanos ( 2 x 29 and a 34) and looking to add something in the 90 – 150 gallon range soon. I still consider myself fairly new to reefing but will share some of the best advice I’ve been given:

Nothing good happens fast

Water changes are essential to good water quality

Know before you buy (Many fish and inverts are not safe for a reef tank. Corals, fish and inverts all have requirements for thriving meeting those can be a challenge. This is one of the reasons I have 3 separate tanks)

As much as possible plan ahead – the livestock you want may dictate the hardware you need (particularly lighting)

I sure others will add more specific recommendations.

Russell

Thanks for the advise Russell. The fish we have studdied and decided on are the false purcula, lawn mower blenny, and eventually a mandarine. That's going to be all the fish we are planning on at this point. I then want the rest to be softies and maybe some easy to care for corals until I get this thing down.

I tested the water earlier and got a baseline. I'm going to use the 5g I made today and 25 more fresh gallons tomorrow. When do I need to add the rest of the LR? ASAP?

Thanks for the advise Russell. The fish we have studdied and decided on are the false purcula, lawn mower blenny, and eventually a mandarine. That's going to be all the fish we are planning on at this point. I then want the rest to be softies and maybe some easy to care for corals until I get this thing down.

I tested the water earlier and got a baseline. I'm going to use the 5g I made today and 25 more fresh gallons tomorrow. When do I need to add the rest of the LR? ASAP?

One of my mistakes when I got started was not adding the majority of my LR all at once. In that small of a tank, you'll probably get a small cycle if you add piece by piece by piece.

There are plenty of people selling LR on here so do yourself a favor and buy it from them.

And check on the mandrin. They usually only eat copepods and in a 29G, they'd wipe them all out in no time.

i thought i would be happy with a shinny nice new 42g oceanic hex stretch. well it didnt last long. i think right at 3 months, and i had to have bigger. The want to sell section is a good place to get equipment most the time 1/2 the price.

Awesome! Way to jump into the hobby.

It's fun to aspire for a bigger tank, but there is no shame in a small tank. Small tanks have many advantages over large tanks. There are a lot of beautiful creatures you can keep in a 42g tank. You can keep all kinds of cool small fish that would be lost in a big tank. A manderine is not out of the question, but it should be considered "expert only" in that size tank (as in you must train it to eat other foods). It will take less resources to fully stock it, less energy to power it, and it will not take up as much time on matainance.

Oh most definitely i had a 10g nano reef for a couple months first. its was an established reef tank for 2 years. its was very nice. but when i got more time i went bigger, and now bigger, and when really started getting into it their was so much stuff i want that i dont have room for in a smaller tank, like my fav fish is a Fairy Wrasse. no chance to keep it in a smaller tank. i think i would have been alittle more happy if i would have gotten a 45 or 55 long it would have let me spread everything out but the hex stretch their isnt much room everything seems to have to sit on each other. but yes smaller tanks are nice too. some of the nano tanks you see are amazing..

Awesome! Way to jump into the hobby.

It's fun to aspire for a bigger tank, but there is no shame in a small tank. Small tanks have many advantages over large tanks. There are a lot of beautiful creatures you can keep in a 42g tank. You can keep all kinds of cool small fish that would be lost in a big tank. A manderine is not out of the question, but it should be considered "expert only" in that size tank (as in you must train it to eat other foods). It will take less resources to fully stock it, less energy to power it, and it will not take up as much time on matainance.

Andrew is right, manderines in that small of a tank are very difficult to keep alive. I would recommend against it with that small a tank. If you can not resist (or think you might be tempted later on down the line) I would recommend adding a refugium to your setup. Plumbing one is easier when your tank is dry.

Also, strongly consider replacing the wall outlet where you are plugging your tank in with a gfci outlet. This will help protect you and your tank from being electrocuted. I don't know of anyone themselves getting hurt, but have read storeis about some piece of equipment falling in the tank and killing everything. The outlet is easy to replace (about 5 min) with no tank in place and cost about $10. It is a pain in the *** to do later if the tank is full of water and in front of the outlet.

Thanks Austinaquaman! That will be replaced in about 1 hour from now. I'm going to Lowe's to get it so it will be done (though I intended to do that, I had honestly forgotten about that) and I don't have to worry about it.

I shall return shortly!

Two more related things to consider. A quarantine tank and a good dip for corals. They are sort of like insurance policies, you don't appreciate them until you see them pay off. They are easily over looked, and you honestly might get away with not doing either for a while. Just remember like accidents, parasites and pests are not planned.

Oh, and welcome to the hobby!!!

I believe he is on the right track for a very good start up! i can tell you when i started i forgot to do so many things that came back to bit me in the arse down the road. im still w/o a ro/di i have been looking for one fairly cheap i found some on ebay for 86.00 free shipping i mite pull the trigger on that today. ya really never think about how much money we drop into this hobby till you look back. and i got great deals along the way and it seems i still have dropped a few bucks.

I was out the hobby for 8 yrs & got back in 2 yrs ago! I made so many mistakes trying to cut corners and do things the old way ! It cost me more money in the long run ! So far your off to a great start. Your taking time to take advantage of the sage advise offered on this site ! & You have a Idea of what you want ! ..................................................I give him 6 months!

Anyone want me to set up a set of squares for this? 1$ a box say...

Tank sizes on one line, how many weeks on the other, maybe months if we want a shorter list.

Month 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9-1Yr 1-2Yr

40-50

50 - 60

60-75-

75-90

90 - 110

111 - 125

Huge thing

I've been in my 29g for about 4 months now and I'm dying for the 90. Don't think you'll hold out a year, but welcome to the hobby!

I would definitely recommend a sump, on my 29 the hang on back items are just too bulky.