Hyposalinity Therapy and Ich

johnoburns

Has anyone tried using this therapy/treatment? I came across an article on Advanced Aquarist Online that talks about Hyposalinity Therapy http://www.advanceda...om/2007/6/fish. It goes through several benefits of this therapy, one being treating ich. I think I may have a fish with ich, although I'm not certain yet. I'm considering this therapy if it is ich.

There are some large white spots on a purple firefish I have. He seems to be eating and behaving just like the other firefish I have. I'll try and post pictures later.

Looking for advise on confirming ich and also on treatment. Thanks.

Edited by austinaquaman

I got a lead that this is a parasitic copepod eggsac. I was also sent this link to confirm http://www.wetwebmedia.com/crustdisfaqs1.htm see topic Re: Fish Parasite 12/14/06. The treatment, as advised by Bob Fenner, is to remove them with tweezers. I'm going to sleep on the advice and try it tomorrow around 7pm. If anyone has any tips or ideas please let me know soon. If not I will post the results of the removal.

We were able to remove the parasites; but we lost the fish aka Okie and two peppermint shrimp in the process. One of the parasites was embedded in the gill of Okie. The gill tore as we removed the parasite. Okie declined rapidly and died shortly after. His wife Dokie will be holding a service later this week.

If anyone is interested I have some pics of the removed parasites I can post tomorrow.

Sorry about the loss i feel sad anytime a fishy dies. on another note we know what it was now and what we can look for and expect in the future, thanks for posting and keeping us updated and well documenting this. things like this make us more knowledgeable in this hobby. i just hate that it happened. again sorry =(

Really sorry to hear that. Any clue if where this came from, as in, do you think Okie had it when you got him?

I think he did have it when I got him. I have been wanting to get purple fire fish for a while. They seemed like they got along well in the store and possibly were a mated pair, making this ideal. I should have studied him closer in the store, but was too eager to get a mated pair. We noticed it pretty early on but it took a while to figure out what it was. Even with the parasite he was acting like a normal fish. No breathing or eating problems. He swam and moved just like the other firefish.

Just a note, after doing research this parasite is pretty rare in aquaria. However, it must be removed and the only way I found to do it was with tweezers. If it is not removed it kills one fish, then moves to another until there are no more fish.