My 58 Gallon Mixed Reef

Stephen

Ok, so I finally got my tank up and running! It's my first tank and it took me forever.. I'm really proud of it and hopefully I won't kill any livestock. I built a majority of the stuff myself and I'll try to show you how I did it.

Here is what I started with.

IMG00092.jpg

You will have to excuse me I accidentally deleted a lot of the construction pics of the stand. Here is what I have.

IMG00109.jpg

After I got the sides up I painted the stand with primer and then semi gloss black paint. Here I cut holes in the back for plumbing and the side for fans.

0024-1.jpg<br>

0044-1.jpg

Here's the fans installed.

0083-1.jpg

<br>

I also added this air vent.

0192-1.jpg

<br>

Doors and Bracket.

0063-1.jpg

0073-1.jpg

<br>

Finished Product.. Well, atleast that's what I thought..

0182-1.jpg

I ended up having to drill 4 more holes on the back two for the 3/4" inlet and return on the closed loop and two holes on the bottom left for electrical use..

I must say the planning of the sump/fuge and plumbing were some of the most complicated and frustrating tasks I've ever endured. I'm so glad it's over.<br>

0012-1.jpg

Here is a drawing of my initial design.

plumbing02.jpg>br>

I had a wet/dry system that I converted to a sump/fuge.

Sump.jpg

sump2-1.jpg<br>

005-1.jpg

<br>

015-1.jpg

<br>

Bulkhead for return and i added some baffles, a bubble tower and drilled the fuge section that I closed up for another bulkhead. This will direct the overflow from the fuge straight into the return chamber bypassing the skimmer.

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

<br>

Here I modified the bulkhead because I had clearance issues with the baffles.

0032-1.jpg

0062-1.jpg

0072-1.jpg<br>

Showing the 1" overflow line from the fuge to return chamber.

018.jpg<br>

Here's some pics of the equipment and plumbing.

Overlflow box single 1" return split with a T to fuge and bubble trap in skimmer section. There are valves on each line to control flow.

020-1.jpg

321.jpg

324.jpg

320.jpg

<br>

From left to right it goes return line, return #1 closed loop, intake for the loop, overflow and finally return #2 closed loop. Return line is 1" with a valve and the closed loop is 3/4" with a valve on each return.

317.jpg

318.jpg

321.jpg

322.jpg

320.jpg

008-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Here's some pics of me creating a light bar to hang from the ceiling supporting my dual 150w metal halides. I constructed the frame out of 1" square aluminum tubing from home depot. I drilled it then painted it black. I hung the bar from the ceiling using eye screws and black chain.

light06.jpg

light07.jpg

light10.jpg

light02.jpg

light09.jpg

light05.jpg

light04.jpg

light03.jpg

light01.jpg

<BR>

My live rock, just waiting to be in my tank! 60 lbs.

0042-1.jpg<br>

Timer for lights and fans.

323.jpg<br>

We have Water!

313.jpg

315.jpg

Agreed, that niche is the perfect spot for your tank, and you obviously spent a lot of time and thought on this. The only thing I would have done different is to paint the white pvc. Very nice work!

yeah i just picked up some krylon fusion, i'm going to paint the pipes black when i get a chance.. i was just so anxious to get it set up! Thanks for the comments!

018-2.jpg

019-2.jpg

021.jpg

Edited by seahorsejl
Fixed the pictures for you.

yeah i just picked up some krylon fusion, i'm going to paint the pipes black when i get a chance.. i was just so anxious to get it set up! Thanks for the comments!

018-2.jpg

Edited by Stephen