Skimmer

Chad and Belinda

Any ideas on budget?

(The prices below are based on new purchases)

$600+ I'd recommend the Bubble King or Royal-Exclusiv Cone by Vertex. Deltec has a good reputation in this price point as well.

$200-$400: Vertex or EuroReef

Under $200, you could try a coralife superskimmer, but I wouldn't recommend it. VERY hit or miss with that skimmer.

These are the ones I was researching when I was planning a 240g upgrade.. Might be a good starting-point:

--SWC Xtreme 300/350 Protein Skimmer

--MSX 300 w/Extra-Long Neck

CONE Skimmers:

============

--I-Tech Cone Skimmer (http://i-techskimmers.com/forums/)

--Royal-Exclusiv Alpha 250 Cone Skimmer (Premium Aquatics)

--SWC Xtreme Cone Protein Skimmer

Edited by pbnj

I'm going to be starting up a 180 in the near future and I've been looking at Warner Marine K2 / ATB 840 / MSX 2S / and Bubble King (vertex alpha 200). I think I'm going with one of the cone skimmers but I still have some time to research and see what I think will be the best route. Most of these will be fine on a heavily stocked 180.

for the money i dont think you can go wrong with a euro reef skimmer. their customer service will always call you back if they dont pick up and they will talk to you on the phone to make sure you get the skimmer that is right for your tank. also the quality of there skimmers are very nice and not over priced for what you get

I like recirculating style skimmers bcause they are supposed to be more efficient. I gravity feed mine which saves a little elec.I would get one rated higher than needed but still fits comfortably in the sump for ease of maint.an Ato is a big plus, constant water level helps keep skimmer dialed in.Skimmers with a GATE valve also help with fine tuning.Ball valves are better than nothing but a gate valve works way better.Look for a reliable, energy efficient, quiet yet powerful pump and or pumps.consider the availability and cost of replacement parts.A big collection cup that is easily taken off and put back on without much fuss is nice. The twist & lock is pretty nice on the deltec I am using right now. My cup has a drain port on it but I do not use it. The cup is large enough to hold a weeks skimate . After a weeks use the neck should be cleaned anyways to maintain efficiency so no real need for the drain port feature.