Rocks

Christian

I want to know how much rocks should I havbe in my 55g tank and I f rocks I find on the side of the road is ok to put in to my fish tanks? were can I get some large, as in tall rocks that I can stak on top of each other to make like towes on eathe side of the tank or in the middle and make clifs and over hangs.

It probably isn't a good idea to add rocks that you find on the side of the road. Aside from not know what they contain, they've probably gotten 10x the contaminants from the cars.

Your best bet is to buy Live rock from one of our Sponsors. Dave from Epicreef has some amazing LR (Live rock).

I agree with Little_Reef on it being dangerous to add rocks from outside to your tank. They probably won't be porous enough to provide the needed area for beneficial bacteria to grow, they will have contaminates, and they might have some metal traces in them which would be detrimental to your tank.

If you are looking for a cheap alternative, you could always just do "base rock" which is normally cheaper than "live rock". Other, you could make your own rocks... another person on this forum was doing that.

If you want cheap base rock I can sell you some Texas 'holey' rock that has been cleaned and used in saltwater tanks. It is not as porous as LR/dead coral rock but it is fine to have in your tank.

For the DIY:

Texas limestone is fine to use in your tank. If you find a piece that you want to use check for a couple of things. If it is very red/orange it contains a higher amount of iron. If it is chalky (easily rubs off white on your fingers) it will break down quicker in your tank. I would not reccomend using limestone with either of these characteristics.

To clean and prep the rock for use:

1. Wash completely with the garden hose or power washer.
  2. Scrub with a hard bristle rock.
  3. Soak in a bleach** solution (5-10%) for a couple of days. Use a powerhead to keep the water moving around the rocks.
  4. Rinse and wash agian with the hose. Let dry completly.
  5. Soak the rock in a saltwater solution just like curing LR. Run a powerhead, make water changes if you want, and the longer the better.
  6. Add it to your tank.

**Bleach breaks down quickly when exposed to air. That is why they use it to treat drinking water.

From what I've heard, people using limestone sometimes have a difficult time maintaining correct pH in their tank. I think your best bet is to buy some dry base rock and add some live rock to seed the rest. In my opinion, the shapes, porosity, and look of "holey rock" does not compare to the stuff you find in the ocean.

Making your own base rock is very cheap and easy, but can be time consuming (may take as much as two months to fully cure the rock before adding to your aquarium). People often post live rock for as little as $2/lb in the For Sale forum. The vast majority of successful marine aquariums depend on large amounts of biological filtration. It would be unwise to skimp on such an elementary thing. Nothing beats good, porous live rock that's loaded with bacteria-- your corals, fish, and wife will thank you.

Edited by Daniel