Downsize....not the typical desire

dieselndixie

Well, I know you all have seen my posts about my tank overhaul..long story short, I may go a different route. The idea of the overhaul was because i needed a change in order to keep my interest peaked. I love SW and I love my reef, but I am thinking of downsizing my 55g to a 24g nano.

Reasons? I need a change, something new...and my 55g is just too big for my little living room setup (we are getting new furniture, and nothing fits because of the tank)

So, my thoughts are...buy and setup a 24g nano....transfer over some of my small fish and corals, then get rid of the exisitng 55g setup.

what do you all think? good vs bad.....how to get rid of my other stuff...tanks, stand, (custom sump and fuge - thanks hammondedge....you know how nice that setup is)

so I need input....anything can help

I got a custom 35g starfire tank from Miracles in Glass. WONDERFUL company and a beautiful tank. It's cube-like.... 24"x18"x18".

They're on the pricey side... with shipping from Canada and all.. but it wasn't any more than Oceanics bid on the same custom build.

well, i have to admit, i am drawn to the nano because of the "cleanliness" of the setup...i am interested in the selfcontained setup. I dont really want an open tank with the pendant or clipon. i just need regular pc lights (plus i dont want to deal with the heat issue of halides.

unless I am just not thinking....if you have a pic of this setup i would love to see it.

i have gone to river city...and I am TOTALLY into that nano they have at the front desk...thats my goal.

We have two nanos and they are awesome. I highly recommend www.nano-reef.com. That site has tons of information on nano tanks. If you plan on having high light corals check out www.nanotuners.com. They can stuff tons of light into tiny little boxes. Personally I think the NanoCube stand is expensive, especially the twisty one.

The tanks do run hot, but there are several passive chiller options and everyone seems to change the pumps for more flow(personal choice).

One of our nanos(12G nanocube) we run completely stock. It supports a clam, leathers grow like crazy, and oh yeah the seahorses love it. The other tank is an aquapod that I have modded. I added 20 extra watts of light(for a total of 74watts for 12 gallons), a MJ900, custom hood, cooling fans, and soon to be refugium. It is also doing very well.

They are fun, super clean, and who doesn't love a bow front.

Jennifer says you can rearrange them very easily.

The little "iceprobe" mini-chillers seem to be custom made for a nano-cube and should help out with heat issues. I've never seen one myself (except on-line photos) but it seems like it would be just the thing with a two-stage temp controller on a mini-cube. Any nano-cubers out there with one?

I had a nano chiller on mine for a few months. My fan went out on it one day and no heat was exhausted. Temps went up to 90. Luckily I caught it before anything died. After that I ditched it. I put a bigger fan in the canopy and I achieve much cooler temps with it than I ever got with a chiller.