LONG AND SHALLOW!!!

dustint21

Tonight is the big night! The tank is built and braced! I will be filling it with fresh water and letting it sit for awhile for a GOOD water test! LOL! My wife doesnt like water on the floor. I still need to build the canopy and figure out how to build a controller for the DIY wavebox if I go that route. Wish me luck!!!

Dustin

Tonight is the big night! The tank is built and braced! I will be filling it with fresh water and letting it sit for awhile for a GOOD water test! LOL! My wife doesnt like water on the floor. I still need to build the canopy and figure out how to build a controller for the DIY wavebox if I go that route. Wish me luck!!!

Dustin

What pump were you going to use for the DIY wavebox? If space permits (and you don't mind the bubbles), you might look into a DIY surge device (http://www.breedersregistry.org/Reprints/MFM/v11_aug96/simple_surge.htm). I'm not sure if a wavebox can compete with the water flow of a surge device.

Daniel

Edited by Daniel

Hey Daniel! Im planning to use a Tunze 6100. I have seen alot of them in action, and they seem to work very well. I dont like bubles, so a surge device is outta the questions. Thanks for the link I always enjoy reading new DIY's!

Hey Daniel! Im planning to use a Tunze 6100. I have seen alot of them in action, and they seem to work very well. I dont like bubles, so a surge device is outta the questions. Thanks for the link I always enjoy reading new DIY's!

ReefCentral had a good post recently on a DIY Wavebox using a similar Tunze pump. I'm not sure if you've read it yet, but I'll look for it...

Yep thats the one I plan to use.

The tank has been tested! NO LEAKS! I will let it sit for 2 more day to be sure. The plan is to get it set in place this weekend. I hope to have it filled with water, rock, and sand by the July 4!!!! I will get some pics once it is moved into the house. Thanks for all the great feedback eveyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok time for a little update. I have got the tank full of water and most of my rock work done, Im not sure if anyone is ever really done aquascaping in this hobby! LOL! Anywayz I have been working on the canopy and getting my lighting figured out. One of my 400w ballast isnt working, so I will have to buy a new one or find parts for the one I have. The skimmer is working great! I am feeding it off of my overflow, so 1 less pump to worry about. I will get to the good part now. Here are a few pics. Sorry they are from my cell phone!

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dustin

One of my 400w ballast isnt working, so I will have to buy a new one or find parts for the one I have.

Dustin

Hey Dustin,

Are the ballast magnetic or electronic?

For the magnetic ones parts are available readily: Like at lightstoreusa.com (is where we

have ordered our replacement parts from).

I got better pics! I still need to finish the canopy (this weekend) and a few other things. Havent got my flow figured out yet either. Here are a few pics til the canopy is done. LMK what you think or ideas you have to make it better!!!!

DSC01961.jpg

DSC01962.jpg

DSC01963.jpg

DSC01965.jpg

DSC01967.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01970.jpg

DSC01974.jpg

DSC01975.jpg

DSC01977.jpg

Thanks for looking!