LONG AND SHALLOW!!!

dustint21

I have been working on my new tank for about a month now. Its going to be a slow build, but it is all DIY for the most part. I got the tank as a 125 gallon used off of ARC. After measuring it the dims. come out to be around 145 gallons. I hated the dims of the tank so we worked it out. It was 72''x 18'' x 25''. After ripping the tank down into glass panels layin on the floor I have flipped the tank on its side and will be picking up some new glass next week. The new tank will be 72''x24''x 18''!!!! Shallow and long, this was what I was really wanting from the start. I will be using a 75 gallon tank for the sump. The lights will be two 400w MH and one 250w MH with DIY Lumenarcs(THANKS CAFE MIKE!!!). I am almost finished with the stand. I picked up Mike Delgado's DAS EX3 to pull out the fish POO!!! LOL! I have takin a few pics along the way. Let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions!

DSC01468.jpg

DSC01776.jpg

DSC01774.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dustin

Correct me if I wrong but its 72"L, 18"H and 25" front to back, right?! That's going to look awesome.....I love the shallow tanks, they're not too many of those and when reaching in, it's not up to your underarm :).....specially for a short person like myself. Looking forward to updates and the final set-up.

Looks good. I have a ton of questions! Will you be keeping just SPS? Are you going to go bare bottom? What bulbs are you looking at using? Any actinics? Are you planning to seal the inside of the tank? Okay, that's all for now.

Daniel

Hey Daniel! This will be a mixed reff, but mostly SPS. I will have a shallow sandbed in the tank and a DSB in the fuge. I cant get into the BB look. I have a Icecap 660, but havent picked VHO's or T5's yet. Im not sure about your last question. I will be sealing the tank, if I didnt I think it might leak!!!! LOL!

Dustin

VHO !!! I cant wait to see it done, and if you get this one done and get rid of it in a month you and I are gonna fight ... :angry: ................. It's gonna be kristen and katryna all over again lmao ;)

Hey Daniel! This will be a mixed reff, but mostly SPS. I will have a shallow sandbed in the tank and a DSB in the fuge. I cant get into the BB look. I have a Icecap 660, but havent picked VHO's or T5's yet. Im not sure about your last question. I will be sealing the tank, if I didnt I think it might leak!!!! LOL!

Dustin

Edited by JAY-ROC

Mike I havent made a template yet. I cut out one of the copies you made , and taped it down to the metal. I still have it, I just covered the edges with a few layers of tape to make sure I didnt mess up the edges. I think I may use some scrap pieces of acrylic to make a nice template when I get this tank running. If anyone needs a copy of the printouts Mike made send me a PM and I will get you a copy ASAP! Thanks again Mike!

Dustin

Quick update! I will have the sump done tonight! The stand will be done this weekend. I order the glass and will pick it up on Tuesday! Im hoping to water test everything and have it outta Jason's way by next weekend!!!LOL!!! I will take some more pics this evening and get them posted in the AM! I am of maybe puting a built in wave box on one side of the tank and the overflow box on the other....???? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Dustin

I was thinking about it, but I think I have talked myself out of it.

Here is quick update. I got the sump done and it is being water tested. The skimmer takes up alot of room! I also started playing with the dry rock I had to see what my aquascaping will look like. I ran out of rock, so the right side isnt finished but this gives you an idea of what Im going for! I should pick up the glass tomorrow and have the tank built tomorrow night. Im putting the second coat of paint on the doors this afternoon. Here are a few pics

DSC01827.jpg

DSC01830.jpg

DSC01845.jpg

DSC01838.jpg

DSC01837.jpg

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01842.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dustin

Thanks! I plan to keep a few Tangs, so open swimming space is a most. I also like the saying "less is more"! Im really happy with the way the sump turned out. The baffles are 3/8'' glass, That thicker than the tanks glass! LOL!