Palm Pre

JamesL

So is anyone going to try an get a Palm Pre this weekend? I used to be a die hard Palm fan, but with the many years of nothing exciting, I have become an iPhone fan. Just curious to see what peoples thoughts are on the new Pre.

So is anyone going to try an get a Palm Pre this weekend? I used to be a die hard Palm fan, but with the many years of nothing exciting, I have become an iPhone fan. Just curious to see what peoples thoughts are on the new Pre.

The Pre definitely looks pretty cool.

But I'm addicted to my iPhone. Will probably end up with my 3rd this Summer...

Yeah, I think I will skip the lines this time. I stood in line twice to get my 3G, which was just silly (since I already had an original iPhone).

I am undecided on getting a new 3rd generation iPhone. But I could always claim it as a business expense ;)

I was hoping someone would be getting a Pre, as I have a testing proposition.

Yeah, I think I will skip the lines this time. I stood in line twice to get my 3G, which was just silly (since I already had an original iPhone).

I am undecided on getting a new 3rd generation iPhone. But I could always claim it as a business expense ;)

I was hoping someone would be getting a Pre, as I have a testing proposition.

My wife has my "hand-me-down" iPhone.

She'd love to have the 3G.

Which gives me the excuse to upgrade again. :D

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is if I can keep the original iPhone, without a phone/data plan, but still install apps...basically like an iPod Touch...'cause my daughter loves it.

You didn't prospect in line? I did and met 2 new potential clients...

+1 on that one. I need to add my tank as a biz expense as well.

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is if I can keep the original iPhone, without a phone/data plan, but still install apps...basically like an iPod Touch...'cause my daughter loves it.

Yes, I believe you can do this. I think all you need to do it remove the SIM card. Then you can install apps either via wifi or syncing them from iTunes.

I'm currently using my first gen 1iphone as a touch (just couldn't break my blackberry habit). Seahorsejl is right, you just remove the sim. Nice thing is that I still get wifi access when in range, so I can browse with it. Mine's jailbroken as well, and I carry it mostly to play NES games when I'm bored. ;)

I'm currently using my first gen 1iphone as a touch (just couldn't break my blackberry habit). Seahorsejl is right, you just remove the sim. Nice thing is that I still get wifi access when in range, so I can browse with it. Mine's jailbroken as well, and I carry it mostly to play NES games when I'm bored. ;)

Perfect...we'll end up with a whole family of iPhones. :D

I just got my iPhone a month or 2 ago. I don't love it. I do like the ( nearly) full web browser. I like the (nearly) seamless switching between wifi and cell tower data connections. I don't like iTunes. I don't like the app store. I don't like obsessive need to retain so much control. To date, I have not jailbroken my phone. Would love a device with an updated Palm Os.

ej

James, you should def develop for the palm pre.

I wish I had the time ;) I barely can squeeze in iPhone programming. There is so much I want to do with the iPhone. Plus the Pre has a whole new "WebOS" programming language, so that adds to the learning time.

Now if Palm opens up the Pre to C/C++, then that might be another story. But all of my current Palm OS programs should work on the classic emulator people can get for the Pre (that is actually why I am looking for someone who is getting a Pre, to test this).

• 2 weeks later...