Carpet Nems

Jbrougher

not easy to keep. Aquatek had one a while back for $150.

Why don't start with a Long tentacle? Easy keepers and affordable. Once the tank settles in and you get used to keeping them, then you can jump to the more pricey ones.

AZ carpet anemones range anywhere from $25-400 in price if that is what you were referring to. The Dome regularly sells "pizza" or saddled carpets that are very nice on the eyes for $60. Plain green ones tend to sell for $50 or less. I once tried a blue carpet and only paid $80 for it. Sure they are listed for $200 or so but you just have to know where to look. Carpets are difficult and the few that I have tried seem to whither away after about 6-7 months. Usually retreating behind some rock work and then not getting enough light. If you purchase a carpet it should be STICKY. Very very sticky. If it's not sticky, don't buy it.

AZ carpet anemones range anywhere from $25-400 in price if that is what you were referring to. The Dome regularly sells "pizza" or saddled carpets that are very nice on the eyes for $60. Plain green ones tend to sell for $50 or less. I once tried a blue carpet and only paid $80 for it. Sure they are listed for $200 or so but you just have to know where to look. Carpets are difficult and the few that I have tried seem to whither away after about 6-7 months. Usually retreating behind some rock work and then not getting enough light. If you purchase a carpet it should be STICKY. Very very sticky. If it's not sticky, don't buy it.

agreed...mine is impossible to remove from your hand ...takes assistance...gloved assistance...and a shrimp to intice him to release your hand. I have accidentally bumped him and "payed the consequence" which equals me saying "oh ****! oh ****! oh ****! oh ****! oh ****!" it doesn't hurt but it is NOT a fun feeling...like flypaper...flypaper with a muscle in it.

agreed...mine is impossible to remove from your hand ...takes assistance...gloved assistance...and a shrimp to intice him to release your hand. I have accidentally bumped him and "payed the consequence" which equals me saying "oh ****! oh ****! oh ****! oh ****! oh ****!" it doesn't hurt but it is NOT a fun feeling...like flypaper...flypaper with a muscle in it.

that answered that ?

OH MY! What a good laugh I got from his. I can visualize it!!

Dena

I thought carpets were pretty easy to take care of. Depending on what kind of carpet, if it's a S. haddoni I would say they are very easy to keep given a healthy well established aquarium. They can be voracious fish eaters though.... S. gigantea on the other hand are extremely difficult to take care of and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone but an expert.

Why don't start with a Long tentacle? Easy keepers and affordable. Once the tank settles in and you get used to keeping them, then you can jump to the more pricey ones.

Another "easy" one that I have had great luck with is a bubble tip anemone. They seem to be a little bit less demanding on the lighting. You can find some nice looking one with purple bases (though they hide their foot in the rockwork, so you won't see it much), or the beautiful rose bubble tips.

Only thing I would say to watch out for is them being torn at the store when they are trying to remove them. I have had one wither away due to that. But my current one was attached to a small rock already, so no messing with the foot. It is very happy in my tank, albeit facing the rear wall :)

Edited by seahorsejl