Please help me name a chalice...

andysgr

I absolutely love this chalice I got. I have some of the LE chalices and this is my favorite. It appears extremely similar to the "Future Tyree LE Orange Cush" for sale at World Wide Corals (see below for the comparison). I do not have lineage so I am asking for some help in giving this badboy a name...so please throw them out there.

IMG_2974-1-1.jpg

IMG_2984-1.jpg

IMG_2969-1.jpg

IMG_2983-1.jpg

..and now for comparison here is the Tyree Future Limited Edition Orange Cush from the WWC website. The same coral?

orangekush_t-1.jpg

It's a nice piece but honestly the whole name a coral just cause I have it is bogus. Sorry but that's my opinion. I don't even like the idea of "LE" corals but at least if they are sold honestly, they are generally sixth generation frags that were grown out by one person. It's the time and investment that counts. Remember when Joseph LEE would go tot Aquatek and buy a coral and the next week frags of it were being sold everywhere with his name and "LE" on it?

To each their own Mike. I personally love the LE and naming of corals. I enjoy collecting corals and the naming makes it much easier for me. I like knowing what I am buying and feel this way I can buy some of the nicest stuff found in the ocean. I don't mind paying more because when I sell frags I can get more money for the corals. The good thing is you don't have to buy LE stuff because there are lots of other nice corals out there.

.... and now to the fun stuff

....introducing my newly named Limited Edition Stardust Blue Watermelon Chalice. Thanks for the help with naming this beauty.

But what makes yours different from any other? I mean the ocean is frickin hugemongous. How did you receive your frag? How can we be assured that yours is the ONLY one like it in the world? What happens if I order up some wholesale chalice from my supplier and there is a piece EXACTLY like yours? Do I have to give it to you for fear of patent or trademark infringement? Maybe you could give us some background information about how you were diving in some exotic hard to reach place and brought back a piece of this coral, narrowly avoiding Somali Pirates and therefor you can pretty much guarantee us all that nobody else will be collecting it.

Oh and buying only LE corals with the main reason being so that you can resell them back unto other hobbyist for more money is a really lame reason to collect corals, just my opinion. I believe in keeping prices low enough that we can all enjoy the hobby together. I really liked how Fishypets practically gave away his frags so that in the event of a tank meltdown other hobbyists would be able to help restock his tank at a later time.

But what makes yours different from any other? I mean the ocean is frickin hugemongous. How did you receive your frag? How can we be assured that yours is the ONLY one like it in the world? What happens if I order up some wholesale chalice from my supplier and there is a piece EXACTLY like yours? Do I have to give it to you for fear of patent or trademark infringement? Maybe you could give us some background information about how you were diving in some exotic hard to reach place and brought back a piece of this coral, narrowly avoiding Somali Pirates and therefor you can pretty much guarantee us all that nobody else will be collecting it.

Oh and buying only LE corals with the main reason being so that you can resell them back unto other hobbyist for more money is a really lame reason to collect corals, just my opinion. I believe in keeping prices low enough that we can all enjoy the hobby together. I really liked how Fishypets practically gave away his frags so that in the event of a tank meltdown other hobbyists would be able to help restock his tank at a later time.

I was being sarcastic when I called mine "limited edition." I guarentee my coral frag is not the only one in the ocean but I am the proud owner of it and I felt like giving it a name. I would never misrepresent this coral as Tyree but I see no reason I can't add fun to the hobby by giving it a name. If you want a frag be my guest and rename it or call it "the coral that does not have a name." IMO this coral is different because it is more beautiful than most. Mike, if you have similar corals sitting around that are "LE" quality that you want to sell cheap PLMK because I would like to buy them. I am always looking for exceptional stuff that catches the eye.

I do not collect LE corals to make money. In fact I have sold only a small fraction of what I have paid. I sell so I can buy more and further enjoy the hobby. I also enjoy meeting some very cool people. Correct me if I am wrong Mike but didn't you buy a Tyree LE Meteor Shower and another LE from me a few mos. ago? A couple of my friends have been given/traded some of my nice LEs for the very same reason as Fishypets.

Caferacermikes Ultra LE Starry Night Milky Way. :blush:

Kidding Mike. I agree. It's all a bit overblown. PS, wanna help me street fight my 98 ZX6R?!

Not to give Andy any grief either.

I think the problem with naming them for fun, within our local club, etc is that eventually it will get into general circulation. And some poor

hobbiest will pay through the nose for something that is not really LE. PT Barnum's rule applies.

Note to others:

Don't drink margarita's and post. I must have edited this 3 times. Not counting backspaces during typing. :D

No worries Robb. I kinda like your name for the coral but I will need to speak with my attorney and see where we are in the paten process. I have and will never sell a coral as "limited edition" unless it is a Tyree coral. I also believe using the term otherwise is misleading. As far as corals simply having a name I will continue to call corals by the name they are sold to me as and on a rare occasion name one myself. When I do sell/trade this coral it will not be cheap. It was not sold as "limited edition" or with a name but it was still very expensive.

Edited by andysgr

Named corals are often easier to deal with when fragging (whether you are the one fragging or you are the one receiving frags) because - just like McDonalds - you know what it should be like before you receive it. I don't care if you give them away or sell them. I would much rather get something that I know will do well and I can visualize the coloration before getting it.

If someone works hard to find and maintain something they feel is special to this hobby, it should be their right to name their coral much like they would name their dog "Spot".

I bought pretty corals, not "LE" corals. I may own a coral that has been told to me that it was an LE but I will never tell anyone that it supposedly came from LE stock. To me, unless I bought it directly from the source, it is no longer LE. I cannot guarantee that you directly bought your piece from Tyree or any other place. That is why I just don't care about names. I try to use scientific names when possible.

Being as commercial enterprises all call their products, which are pretty much identical, by different trade names, I think the whole issue is moot. A cnidarian labeled with a trade name is still the same cnidarian, even when sold under another trade name. And the trade name has an advantage - you can trace the lineage of the stuff, at least back to one point.

Basically - I am all for trade names. I would prefer the scientific name to be used as a subtext on them though.

My suggestion for the name of this beauty is "Morning Starshine" or "Twilight Stars". :)

-Paul

P.S. What's the story with this LEE fellow?

Well, if y'all don't mind me budding in.....it's okay to name a coral if you wish to, but when you place a label like LE (limited edition).....once you decide to frag an LE coral it's not going to remain limited any longer. Eventually anyone who got a piece (and keeps it growing), will eventually frag it.

I've notice some of this LE corals began w/a specific coloration (even a specific growth pattern) but, from time to time, a frag can change its color and even growth pattern, and that is due to different lighting/water parameters.

We're not that particular as to what label is on the coral. If it's pretty (to us), we'll get it. We have traded, bought/sold and even split a decent colony here and there w/fellow reefers and let me tell you......That coral looks so different in our tank than the other person's tank and it has to do w/the environment that we provide for these living creatures.

IMO, we should be able to provide healthy, colorful and affordable corals for everyone to enjoy. Set that extra $$$$ for the big ticket items or DIY projects, so we can maintain a thriving stable tank. And don't take it the wrong way, I don't mean to disrespect or taking sides ......we just "wish for affordability" when it comes to this hobby.