PetCo is hell on earth for saltwater fish

ysanford

So I went to PetCo today to check out the clowns that they have. MAN! I was so shocked and upset at how horrible the conditions are in their tanks. Even though they had a really nice pair of black ocellaris, I passed on the purchase for the fear of them having some type of disease. When I looked at the perculas, I was mortified at the sight! They had about 15 clowns in one small 10 gallon section and most of them were in horrible condition. You could also tell that they had been in there for countless days. Of coarse, the healthier ones started attacking the weaker ones and one in particular was in pretty bad shape. I got the attention of one of the associates to tell them about the little guy. The other clowns had been attacking him for so long that all of his fins and tail looked like they had been run through a paper shredder! I had to "suggest" to him that he should take the poor guy out and put him in a qt. I mentioned that the fish didn't look to be in good shape and all the guy said was "I'm sure he is going to die, so you can have him for free if you want". So, of course I brought the little guy home with me and put him in our twenty gallon. He doesn't seem to be doing too good. His white stripes look as if they are "crusty" and his eyes are very cloudy. He is also gasping and laying on the sand bed every few minutes. He seems to be a tough guy because he keeps trying to swim around and not give up. I'm hoping to find him alive in the morning.

If he is still with us tomorrow, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make him feel better? There are no other fish in the tank with him; only a peppermint shrimp, which the clown is afraid of right now. The shrimp tried to clean him off when he got into the tank and the clown thrashed around trying to get away from him, but too weak to swim away.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Edited by thesanfords

Did he make it?

If the shrimp is scaring him, you might block off part of your tank so that for now, the shrimp can't get to him. He sounds like he needs all the res he can get.

If he'll eat, food soaked in garlic might help him recover as well.

Good for you for taking the little guy! I hope he makes it. Even if he doesn't, at least you gave him a little peace.

I've seen similar situations with the clowns at PetCo and stood there waiting to make sure the stressed ones were moved to other tanks.

Bad news. The poor guy didn't make it. I was worried about him so I checked on him around 4am and he had already passed on to fishy heaven. :thumbsup: Pretty upsetting. Thanks for all the advice. I really wanted him to make it through.

Bad news. The poor guy didn't make it. I was worried about him so I checked on him around 4am and he had already passed on to fishy heaven. :( Pretty upsetting. Thanks for all the advice. I really wanted him to make it through.

if you want clowns I have 6 pair now :thumbsup:

A large percentage of collected fish die between the collection point and their final destination. Regardless of shop. With the exception of tank bred fish. But Petco is by far one of the worst final destinations for sure! Their staff rarely knows much about marine. Not to mention the local shops usually beat them on price as well.

They are not only uneducated about marine fish but all fish in general. I went yesterday to by some fresh water fish and the guy there couldnt even catch them. He was slinging the net around in the tank like crazy. I had to catch the fish myself. They need to find a worker who just deals with the fish. There is always dead fish in the PETCO off Brodie and 71.

A large percentage of collected fish die between the collection point and their final destination. Regardless of shop. With the exception of tank bred fish. But Petco is by far one of the worst final destinations for sure! Their staff rarely knows much about marine. Not to mention the local shops usually beat them on price as well.

whateva whateva i do what i want!! :thumbsup:

So how is the carnation doing?

It's been doing really well and we actually found out that the black spot on it was a type of algea. It has since completely cleared and has even grown quit a bit. Thanks for asking.

That is why you should never buy anything from PetCo. Not even to "save it". Every fish that goes out of their inventory is replaced. That means it probably takes 2 fish to replace it, because one of them will probably die on the way. That store is a joke. The more people that ignore their livestock the less likely they are to continue carrying fish. I refuse to even buy dry goods there out of protest. I know I am just one voice but I hope others will join me.

That is why you should never buy anything from PetCo. Not even to "save it". Every fish that goes out of their inventory is replaced. That means it probably takes 2 fish to replace it, because one of them will probably die on the way. That store is a joke. The more people that ignore their livestock the less likely they are to continue carrying fish. I refuse to even buy dry goods there out of protest. I know I am just one voice but I hope others will join me.

I agree. I just felt really bad and I just couldn't let the little guy stay in that tank and continue getting attacked. At least by bringing him home, he was able to have a little peace before passing. I probably wouldn't have done it if my 20 gallon had other fish in it.