ACK! HELP! pseudocorynactis!

Capt. Obvious

i recently noticed a small hydroid like growth in my daughter's nano tank the other day. and now today there are 2 of them. They are very sensitive to light and turn into a little orange ball when I shine a flashlight on them....their tentacles have little white balls on the end. I have read they are NOT reef safe and reproduce like rabbits( or aptasia ;)) is this the case, do I need to get rid of them? if so how?

*note: it is NOT an aptasia or Majano ...I know the difference and it is DEFINATLY an ORANGE BALL CORALLIMORPH

ORANGE BALL CORALLIMORPH look truly awesome. I couldn't find and definitive information on if they are good or bad. I am leaning toward bad since they appear so similar in "approach" to aptaisa and mango's. Contain the relevant rocks or chip out the rock around the anemones until we determine if they are good ;)

Pseudocorynactis spp. are like Corynactis but are much larger (to about six inches (15 cm) diameter, and usually not colonial. They also reproduce by fission, but it is unusual to find more than about six clones together as a group. The so-called orange ball anemones that can be observed on coral reefs at night are Pseudocorynactis spp. The column varies in color from cryptic shades of brown to orange, red and magenta. The tips of the tentacles are commonly bright orange, but they can also be white. These tentacle tips are extremely sticky, like flypaper, due to the presence of powerful nematocysts. This fact makes the larger species from the Indo Pacific region unsuitable for aquariums housing fishes, which they readily capture. They also can catch mobile invertebrates such as shrimps and snails, and sometimes "attack" sessile invertebrates growing on adjacent rocks, enveloping them in the gastric cavity through a widely opened mouth. Pseudocorynactis spp. can be fed daily, but only require twice weekly feeding to keep them healthy. If they are not fed frequently enough, they shrink. There is a marked behavioral difference between the common Caribbean and Indo-Pacific species.

The Caribbean species, Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum mainly opens its tentacles at night, and closes rapidly when it senses light. The Indo-Pacific species remains open both day and night, and is not sensitive to light. The presence of food smells (dissolved amino acids) in the water stimulates either species to open up and extend the tentacles, and the caribbean species can be trained to open in the light by feeding it during daylight hours. The mechanism for its apparent memory is not known.

Whether you have a large reef aquarium or a simple small aquarium, any of the corallimorphs can be easily maintained and enjoyed for decades.

Pseudocorynactis spp. are like Corynactis but are much larger (to about six inches (15 cm) diameter, and usually not colonial. They also reproduce by fission, but it is unusual to find more than about six clones together as a group. The so-called orange ball anemones that can be observed on coral reefs at night are Pseudocorynactis spp. The column varies in color from cryptic shades of brown to orange, red and magenta. The tips of the tentacles are commonly bright orange, but they can also be white. These tentacle tips are extremely sticky, like flypaper, due to the presence of powerful nematocysts. This fact makes the larger species from the Indo Pacific region unsuitable for aquariums housing fishes, which they readily capture. They also can catch mobile invertebrates such as shrimps and snails, and sometimes "attack" sessile invertebrates growing on adjacent rocks, enveloping them in the gastric cavity through a widely opened mouth. Pseudocorynactis spp. can be fed daily, but only require twice weekly feeding to keep them healthy. If they are not fed frequently enough, they shrink. There is a marked behavioral difference between the common Caribbean and Indo-Pacific species.

The Caribbean species, Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum mainly opens its tentacles at night, and closes rapidly when it senses light. The Indo-Pacific species remains open both day and night, and is not sensitive to light. The presence of food smells (dissolved amino acids) in the water stimulates either species to open up and extend the tentacles, and the caribbean species can be trained to open in the light by feeding it during daylight hours. The mechanism for its apparent memory is not known.

Whether you have a large reef aquarium or a simple small aquarium, any of the corallimorphs can be easily maintained and enjoyed for decades.

uhhh sooo.....ummm they are ok? I am even more confused than ever...first article you quote..BAD...second almost like a sales pitch....should i nuke the pretty little (*^$( or keep him and love him and pet him...ok not pet him

wel from wet webmedia i got this:

Unknown hitchhiker White Ball Corallimorph (Pseudocorynactis sp.) 4/27/07

<Hi Jim, Mich here.>

Would you advise your best opinion as to what this creature is.

<Yes, looks to be a White Ball Corallimorph (Pseudocorynactis sp.)>

I found it on an empty snail shell in my tank.

<Likely a hitchhiker.>

One opinion from another forum was that it is a bleached majano anemone.

<No. It is not a Majano anemone. Is a lucky addition to your tank. You might try offering this coral finely chopped fish at night or when the tentacles are extended. They are not common in captivity so enjoy it!>

Thanks for any help.

<You're welcome! Mich>

Jim

So I should keep them...but watch them closely?

From looking at your photo, I'm pretty sure I have the same thing in my tank, and I have had the same question - good or bad? These little buggers are scattered throughout my live rocks and easily retract into a hole. Mine do not have any color, but the center is white.

I vote for the Corynactis since the Pseudocorynactis are larger.

For the moment, I'm not doing anything - just watching. I have not found any information to determine if they are good or bad. If you find a definitive answer, please post it.

I have these in my tank too (the orange ball morph), and I am torn on them being good or bad. At first, they seemed neutral, and didn't really bother much of anything as they normally stayed closed during the day. But recently, they have gotten out of hand in a zoa patch, and I think they are keeping the zoas from opening. So I am thinking about trying some target elimination with lemon juice.

From looking at your photo, I'm pretty sure I have the same thing in my tank, and I have had the same question - good or bad? These little buggers are scattered throughout my live rocks and easily retract into a hole. Mine do not have any color, but the center is white.

I vote for the Corynactis since the Pseudocorynactis are larger.

For the moment, I'm not doing anything - just watching. I have not found any information to determine if they are good or bad. If you find a definitive answer, please post it.

hrmmm we MAY be talking about something a little different here...these little guys retract into themselfs...and form a little orange ball...it may be the same thing and the little ball they are forming is just hiding in your rock i guess, However I think they are Pseudocorynactis and not Corynactis and are just in a "younger state" as they appeared virtually overnight and are growing rapidly...6" doesn't seem that far fetched to me on these guys....and I watched on kill a cerith this morning ;)

Here's a good macro shot I took in my tank of a hydroid patch:

IMG_6193.jpg

I don't really worry to much about them.

I have that exact same variety on a muscle shell...and they are definaty a colonial variety...mine are staying small so I ignore them.

but the orange ball guys seem to be far from colonial...and the two that I have seem to be agressive towards each other and are slowly migrating apart. (sounds alot like my 1st Marriage ;) )

• Like 1