New guy here

CBarnett

well I literally JUST got the tank today in dallas. It is a 55 gallon acrylic with a center overflow setup. The guy I bought if from gave me a red sea prism skimmer (but from what I have read they are not the best choice) and a jebo Power compact light

Get rid of the "dead" sea skimmer. We have one and we are try desperately to get rid of it! As for the 55, it is a good choice to have as your starter tank. If you need help, we have the same size tank that we have just started to set up, so we may have already experienced something that you will most likely go through. Plan ahead and research your equipment well. There are a lot of different choices and ways to set these things up. Best advice - BE PATIENT! Welcome to the club and feel free to ask questions!

Welcome!

As the others mentioned the skimmer is pretty useless. However, I would be more concerned about the light. Those have a reputation of, well, catching on fire. I would stay away from power compacts in general but especially Jebo.

Welcome to the addiction!

Welcome to the club! What are tank's dimensions? IMO, if you decide on lighting go w/some T'5, less heat, the high output of lighting its amazing. The combination of bulbs is something you would like to see in person. Some folks here have there setups running T'5s.