Can't keep the snails alive!

TonyF

I have a new setup - 65 gallon tank with a couple of clownfish and an angel in it. They've been living quite happily for three months now. However, every time I add snails, they don't last an hour. I put them in a rubbermaid, drip the water from my tank in it for two hours, but when I finally drop them in my tank they don't last long. My levels are all unremarkable, the water is circulated with a Mag 70 pump, and I keep the tank clean.

Any ideas why they won't live?

- Tony

You mentioned your levels are unremarkable. What parameters are you testing? Salinity, temp, nitrates, phosphates, etc? There has to be something off to which the snails are more sensitive. If you can give us everything you have tested so far that could give us a good starting point.

Sorry for the delay. In response:

- tank was new

- equipment (sump, eHeim canister filter, skimmer) was used

- ph: 8.0

- NH3/NH4: 0

- NO2: <0.3

- kH: 6

Thanks for any input, and let me know if I should test anything else.

- Tony

Specific gravity is 1.023. River City Aquatics (where I buy the snails) says theirs is the same.

There's also a fair amount of waste sitting on the gravel, which I'm trying to get rid of a section of a time now that I have my siphon working properly.

I'm new to this game - should I be replacing the water at intervals?

How is your specific gravity?

The N02 says you are still slightly cycling, that might do it.

Hmmm. Are your kits new? Or is RCA testing the water for you? Theirs should be fine, but the kits are a cheap insurance policy.

Water changes should be done. There seem to be as many time frames for them as there are people with fish tanks. I like to do mine every few weeks. Sometimes it is longer. Some have great success doing it once a month. Some advocate smaller, more frequent is better. I say, find a time frame that works for you and stick to it.

have any hermits? some hermits can be douchy little snail murders. the only snails i lose are the ceriths that fall on their "backs"

I am assuming you haven't dosed any antifungals or anti-algae agents right?(notorious for copper sulfide)

How is your temp...does it "sway" much? snails are real sensative to PH(they prefer higher 8.2-8.4) and salinity..but that all seems fine.

Also snails can "play dead"(osmotic shock) for DAYS then just be fine(i.e. not dead)

Edited by Capt. Obvious

I'm pretty sure there are no hermit crabs. Also no antifungal dosing. I'm in the process of cleaning up the gravel with a siphon and then replacing the water a portion at a time. My temperature is around 78 F - no heater yet although I have an in-line which I will hook up to the eHeim when I can find a 5/8 to 12/16 converter.

Your osmotic shock suggestion is an interesting one - they sure seemed dead but perhaps they weren't. Is it common for this to happen?

have any hermits? some hermits can be douchy little snail murders. the only snails i lose are the ceriths that fall on their "backs"

I am assuming you haven't dosed any antifungals or anti-algae agents right?(notorious for copper sulfide)

How is your temp...does it "sway" much? snails are real sensative to PH(they prefer higher 8.2-8.4) and salinity..but that all seems fine.

Also snails can "play dead"(osmotic shock) for DAYS then just be fine(i.e. not dead)

You might also just try temperature acclimating the next batch of snails. Like water changes, everyone has their own opinion on how to acclimate new fish/corals/inverts. I personally no longer use the drip method. I let the bag float on the surface of the tank for 15-20 minutes, then release the critter into the tank (just the critter, not the bag water).

Tried that with the first batch, without success I'm afraid. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

You might also just try temperature acclimating the next batch of snails. Like water changes, everyone has their own opinion on how to acclimate new fish/corals/inverts. I personally no longer use the drip method. I let the bag float on the surface of the tank for 15-20 minutes, then release the critter into the tank (just the critter, not the bag water).

If you flip them back over, are they dead? As you probably know, many snails are unable to flip themselves back over once on their back.

Try putting one in a plastic bottle with some holes drilled in it to see if they live. Maybe we can isolate whether they're dying because of water conditions or because of something else.