Things I learned at MACNA

GKarshens

1. Don't feed anemones large pices of food. Mysis is the largest they should get. Even when they seem to eat the large chunks we give them, they spit it back out in the middle of the night. Also the darker they are the healthier thay are. White or yellow Sebaes are bleached. A healthy anemone can be sliced in 2.

2. Most MH light bulbs can be used longer than one year if you just lower them a couple of inches closer to the water. See Sanjay's site for the PAR on your bulbs: www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com

3. Acro frags should be glued laying down and you can even cut them long ways and glue both halves laying down. Plate corals can be broken into pie shaped pieces and each one will grow back into a plate.

4. Vitamin B12 is good for fish. Crush a tablet and dissolve it in some tank water that you can then soak your food in before feeding.

5. I am going to start doing weekly 25% water changes.

All in all it was an incredible event and I am really glad I went. 13 frags and a colony of acro help too!

More please, more, more, more! My daughter's 3rd B-day party was during MACNA and I couldn't go, so I'm dying to hear what eveybody learned. Great start, Gabriel. Who else went and what did you learn?

p.s. Gabriel, the purple montipora digitata I bought from you at the last ARC meeting is looking awesome!

Mike

Gabriel,

What is the data that has convinced you to do 25% weekly water changes? Also, did you attend Eric Borneman's sea salt discussion? Which salt will you be using for your 25% water changes (I'm going to buy stock in that company!).

Cheers,

Mike

I actually missed the salt speech. However, I heard they didn't test Tropic Marin and that is what I use (pro reef version). I did get to talk with the head of Tropic Marin USA for about an hour. That guy was Awesome! He explained the composition of how calcium is used by corals and why Chellated calcium is not useful to them. After hearing the research that went into their salt that is all I will be using.

As for the 25% water change. My setup allows me to do a 25-30g water change at one time. That is about 25% of my volume. Therefore that is what I will do each week. If I had a better way to do larger changes I probably would.

I am glad your Monti is doing good. Mine is growing fast and I will probably be able to Frag again soon. I can't remember who else was wanting a piece of it though.

Gabriel, I beleive I had asked to be next on the list. I think Mojo beat me to you by about 10 seconds.

Also, thanks for the info about Tropic Marin. I had just posted a thread about that very same thing before I saw your post. Do you get it here at River City, or order it?

Stephen

Stephen, sorry to have beaten you out of that monti frag. I didn't realize anyone else was interested. Hope you can get a piece. It's a fast grower and mine is under intense light with pretty forceful flow, and is as happy as can be.

Now let's get back on topic ... who else learned anything at MACNA?

I learned tons @ MACNA, it was just as valuable a business trip as it was for my personal hobby.

I actually got to hang out a little and talk with a lot of my customers that I encountered there, but I've been going on and on and on to all my customers who didn't get to attend, and I think some of them have heard enough LOL. I do, however, feel a lot more comfortable dishing out some "professional" advice from people with much more experience and expertise than just telling people "I dont know" about things I'm not familiar with, which I often do, since I dont want to have a chance of misinforming people.

I'll say I understand a good bit more about water chemistry and sea water after talking with or listening to Tropic Marin's US Rep, though. I got a lot from his Q&A's with everybody there.

But, I think Mike'll attest to the fact that once you get me started, I'm hard to stop on any subject, or giving advice and discussing situations with tanks, though I'm not always the best to ask on all topics, as I really have no first hand experience with lots of bad algaes, or with most higher end equipment. Talking is one of my strong points, but Carlos might argue with that confused4.gif

Macna tip: When building tanks/sumps with acrylic using weld on #4, glue joints indoors with the A/C set to 70 degrees for 4 hours to cool down the glue and materials. Then using 15/1000's piano wire to add a little space to the glue joint, add the weld on #4 with a syringe through capilary action. Then after the glue is in the joint, remove the piano wire from one end to another for a bubble free glue joint.

When using the two part weld on #40, cut the material at a 5 degree angle and inject the WO #40 into the joint using the piano wire method. Then , once dry, route off dried glue with a laminate trimming bit.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Macna tip: When building tanks/sumps with acrylic using weld on #4, glue joints indoors with the A/C set to 70 degrees for 4 hours to cool down the glue and materials. Then using 15/1000's piano wire to add a little space to the glue joint, add the weld on #4 with a syringe through capilary action. Then after the glue is in the joint, remove the piano wire from one end to another for a bubble free glue joint.  

When using the two part weld on #40, cut the material at a 5 degree angle and inject the WO #40 into the joint using the piano wire method. Then , once dry, route off dried glue with a laminate trimming bit.  

huh????

I would like it as well. There are several things I would like to custom make, but since I have never worked with acrylic I would be reluctant to try. Seeing it done and getting some education on it would probably give me the confidence to give it a try.

Stephen